smallpipe chanter dimension question

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
brad maloney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

smallpipe chanter dimension question

Post by brad maloney »

I have a background in making flutes and fifes and I wanted to dip my toes into the pipemaking world as a personal venture.

I figured smallpipes, with a cylindrical bore (no reamer, just clean gundrill)and one octave (uilleann pipe reeds kind of intimidate me right now) would be a place to start. Hopefully I'm not deluded - BUT I don't have a sample instrument to take measurements from, so I was looking for plans for a small pipe chanter and came across this http://www3.telus.net/ereiswig/achanter.gif

Great, easy to read - but the id is 0.1875 and the od is 0.625 - that would make the chimney height 7/32, Is this correct, seems a bit thick compared to the bore, no?

Is this plan somewhat sound? If not which resources can you recommend for smallpipe designs?

Thanks
Brad
Play Happy
brad maloney

Re: smallpipe chanter dimension question

Post by brad maloney »

http://youtu.be/K8E_zMLCRNg
Mmmm,
So does anyone out there have a set of small pipes and a set of verniers? just looking for the ID and OD - are there any books on smallpipe building?

Seems like a straightforward question, I know people on this board play them.
Play Happy
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

I found this link:http://www.machineconcepts.co.uk/smallpipes/pipe2.htm for some Northumbrian smallpipes.
“When a Cat adopts you there is nothing to be done about it except put up with it until the wind changes.” T.S. Elliot
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Thanks, but Northumbrian pipes are a different instrument altogether, I've been in touch with Seth Hamon who offers plans for border pipes but I'm still looking for the ID and OD (inner diameter and outer diameter) of a small pipe chanter, the length and hole placement would be icing on the cake, but I could figure those out on my own. Please help!!
Play Happy
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

finally found some
Play Happy
Richard Evans

Post by Richard Evans »

brad maloney wrote:Thanks, but Northumbrian pipes are a different instrument altogether, I've been in touch with Seth Hamon who offers plans for border pipes but I'm still looking for the ID and OD (inner diameter and outer diameter) of a small pipe chanter, the length and hole placement would be icing on the cake, but I could figure those out on my own. Please help!!
Not so, the modern SSP were developed from NSP dimensions in the 1980s and use the same reeds. There's another whole family which use plastic PC-type reeds.

Reed making info on our website. My A chanter has 3/16" bore. Diameter at top is 11.8mm, 13mm at bottom.

Cheers
Richard