highland practice chanter suggestions

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
brad maloney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

highland practice chanter suggestions

Post by brad maloney »

I'm thinking of getting a highland practice chanter but it looks like there's a
lot of crappy ones pumped out of the middle east, I want something of enough quality that it won't be a hindrance to learning tunes.

please let me know of a decent practice chanter

thanks
Play Happy
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: highland practice chanter suggestions

Post by Peter Duggan »

Having replaced a c.25-year old poly 'Shepherd' (which, being badly tuned and uncomfortably hard to blow, I've long suspected of being a 'changeling') with a Gibson long (also in poly) this summer, I'd strongly recommend the Gibson... well tuned, nice to blow and genuinely fun to play where I'd just get out the pipes rather than suffer the other one!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

I find MacCallum long PCs recommendable, too, and very favourably priced.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

[old thread alert]

I have McCallum and Gibson. They're both good. If I was going to get one today, it would be Soutar. Same quality for less money. It's really hard to mess up a practice chanter, but they manage in Pakistan. Avoid those.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Most practice chanters (I'm talking about good ones made by legitimate Highland pipemakers) play more or less the same: they're purposely designed to have a high backpressure, having a very narrow bore, which gives them a certain kazoolike tone. I have an old practice chanter from the 1940s and it's like that too. It's just the traditional way practice chanters have always been made. My theory is that they were designed to have extremely high backpressure in order to build up the lip strength of the beginner- there's no acoustic reason for an instrument which puts out a volume that low to require that much pressure to play.

I have a McCallum Long and it plays very nicely, but it's a traditional-style practice chanter.

The Gibson Long practice chanters are quite different: they seem to be based on a smallpipe chanter rather than a traditional practice chanter, having a different bore and using a short wide reed like a Northumbrian Smallpipe reed, and they are much more freeblowing (that is, less backpressure) and have a clearer more musical tone. They're also considerably louder than traditional practice chanters. I think they're the best practice chanters around.

Here's what two Gibson long practice chanters sound like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4lw8-3Jf9w

But! I can't use one with the pipe band, because they're all playing McCallum Longs and Naill Longs etc which play very flat, around halfway between B flat and A (around 450 to 455 cycles) and my Gibsons want to play at around Concert B flat, 466.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Very interesting clip, funny enough... I had an idea to make just such a beast after someone showed me the same sort of trick with two whistles. Those Gibson pcs do have a small piping sound.

Thanks
Play Happy
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

McCallum.