French Trad

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
sfmans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: French Trad

Post by sfmans »

The wonderful band Blowzabella did a lot to popularise French trad. in the UK, and their first tune book 'Encyclopeadia Blowzabellica' contains the dots of many classic, 'canonical' if you will, Massif Central tunes (there's some, but not troubling, overlap with the Massif Central Tune Books). There are also English and Breton tunes in there, but a goodly proportion of French.

Their 2nd book, 'New Tunes For Dancing', is a collection of the tunes they have written themselves: so whilst it doesn't fit the criteria in operation here, it's IMNSHO well worth having for the music for classic tunes by Andy Cutting, Paul James, Jon Swayne et al in there.

They're currently redecorating their website so I can't give a direct link to the online shop, but if you go to http://www.blowzabella.com you can find the books on sale from there.
Dave R
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dave R »

If it only drones, it must be a politician!
Claus von Weiss
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Claus von Weiss »

Some great information here ... thanks everybody! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Claus