Newbie question about full vs 3/4 size bagpipes.

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
elzorch
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Newbie question about full vs 3/4 size bagpipes.

Post by elzorch »

New member just getting into pipes! When my father passed away he left quite a collection of GHB chanters, one of which I sold. I advertised it to the man as a full size because all the chanters that were labeled full size (most weren't labeled...) measured the same length. So my question is how can I tell if I have a full or 3/4 size chanter or any other parts as well? It's not by pitch is it?
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Newbie question about full vs 3/4 size bagpipes.

Post by pancelticpiper »

For one thing, the 19th century/early 20th century Highland pipemakers didn't make anything called "3/4 size bagpipes".

Many of their pricelists survive and they consistently called them "Half-size Pipes" or "Reel-pipes" or sometimes "Lovat Reel Pipes".

They were not half-size (the name being misleading) but rather around 7/8 size.

I don't know why people in the late 20th century began calling these things "3/4 size" pipes... perhaps they were thinking about violin sizes. As mentioned, the instruments are around 7/8 size.

Here for comparison are the instruments which from c1830-c1930 were called (L-R) "Great Highland or Military Bagpipes", "Half-size or Reel Pipes", and "Miniature Highland or Chamber pipes"

The "halfsize or reel pipe" above was made c1900 by Glen of Edinburgh. (The chanter is a modern "Lowland" chanter by Jon Swayne.)

You can see the size in comparison to the Great Highland pipes... they are quite easy to spot.

The chanters are not difficult to spot either, as they have a narrower bore and smaller fingerholes than the Great Highland chanter.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
elzorch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by elzorch »

Thank you for the reply and sorry for my delay, I was on vacation :) In your photo I can see the size difference, but how can I tell what I have? Will the bore measurement tell me?
fiddlerwill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

yes, what are they?
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs