SSP tune identification?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

SSP tune identification?

Post by Peter Duggan »

Looking for the name of Gary West's first tune here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QorXZGGmw

Thanks
P
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
dunnp

Re: SSP tune identification?

Post by dunnp »

Sorry I cant be of any help but it's a cracking little tune. I just picked it up quick enough. Sounds very familiar to me.
Do you know the name of the second well known tune that is also in my head somewhere but never took the time to learn it.
Thanks for the tunes, Peter,
Patrick
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

dunnp wrote:Do you know the name of the second well known tune
Nope, but I like that too (follows so naturally) and just have to learn them both! :)

Master of nine?
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I think the second tune is "Aires De Pontevedra". I don't know what the first tune is at all.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Thanks, Bill (confirmed)... thought they might just be Galician or something!

Quick transcription straight from the video (not guaranteed perfect):

X:1
T:Tune played by Gary West
S:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QorXZGGmw
N:Played on Scottish Smallpipes in D, notated in A
N:Some minor variations not transcribed
Z:Peter Duggan
M:C|
L:1/8
K:Hp
cd|:e2e2 a2a2|efec A2c2|BABc dBcd|efec ABcd|
e2e2 a2a2|efec A2c2|BABc d2B2|1 A4- AAcd:|2 A6 A2|
|:B2AB c2Bc|d2c2 B2AB|c2Bc d2cd|e4 eAce|
a2a2 fgaf|efec A2c2|BABc d2B2|1 A6 A2:|2 A4- AAcd||

X:2
T:Aires de Pontevedra (as played by Gary West)
S:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0QorXZGGmw
N:Played on Scottish Smallpipes in D, notated in A
N:Further variations played second time round but not transcribed here
Z:Peter Duggan
L:1/8
K:Hp
e2|a2e2 c2de|fedc B3c|dcde fedB|edBG A2e2|
a2e2 c2de|fedc B2Bc|dcde fedB|edBG A2e2|
a2e2 c2de|fedc B2Bc|dcde fedB|edBG A2e2|
aecA cefe|decd BBBc|dcde fedB|\
M:3/2
edBG A4- AABc|
dcdB cABc|dcdB cABc|ecdB cABc|cddB cAce|
fg3 gfge|agfe dcde|AddA dAde|agfe dcde|
AccA cAce|agfe dcde|B4 cecA|cecA BdBG|
B2e2 A4-|\
A8- AABc|\
dcdB cABc|dcdB cABc|
dAdA cAcA|dAdA cAce|fg3 gfge|agfe dcde|
AddA dAde|agfe dcde|AccA cAce|agfe dcde|
B4 cecA|cecA BdBG|B2e2 A4-|\
A8- A2||

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Just remembered I'd seen him playing Galician tunes at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCb79cydwVo and, guess what, it's the same set with 'Aires de Pontavedra' mentioned in the comments! But he says in his spoken introduction that he can never remember the names of the tunes and thinks they might be in a book by George Greig, so anyone got that?
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Master of nine?
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Nice one Peter. I must have heard them on a Carlos Nunez recording I think. Good tunes.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

http://www.celticscores.com/sheet-music ... Pontevedra
here it is in real notation. simply transpose into the key of your choice. :thumbsup:

as for the first tune,
why not just ask him?
http://www.garywest.co.uk/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=89
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

CHasR wrote:http://www.celticscores.com/sheet-music ... Pontevedra
here it is in real notation. simply transpose into the key of your choice. :thumbsup:
Aye, thanks... always good to have alternative sources (have also seen it on The Session etc. since Bill put a name to it), but I'd already got it jotted down (with MS paper and pencil) before I had the name...
as for the first tune,
why not just ask him?
http://www.garywest.co.uk/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=89
Had thought of that too, and might well (see if he's remembered it himself yet!). :wink:

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:But he says in his spoken introduction that he can never remember the names of the tunes and thinks they might be in a book by George Gregor, so anyone got that?
No wonder I couldn't find it when the name I was looking for turns out to be George Greig, with the book (called A New Way to Melrose and published by the LBPS) containing 'tunes from Scandanavia to Shetland, from Quebec to Galicia and Brittany and a whole lot more; 142 tunes in all, arranged for Scottish Smallpipes and Border Pipes.' So I've downloaded the contents list and Aires de Pontevedra is there, but still (after Googling the whole Asturian/Galician section) haven't identified that first tune and suspect I'm likely to end up 1. appealing to Gary West's memory for this one and 2. buying the book anyway for its very attractive content!
Last edited by Peter Duggan on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Peter Duggan wrote:the same set with 'Aires de Pontavedra' mentioned in the comments
Pontevedra (missed post edit window to correct spelling!).
Peter Duggan wrote:So I've downloaded the contents list and Aires de Pontevedra is there, but still (after Googling the whole Asturian/Galician section) haven't identified that first tune
Just got the book, and it's Pasacorredoires de Ponteareas e Vilalba (strains 3 & 4), 'made popular by Gary West who played it on a Ceol Beg CD under the title of 'Three Wheeled Rabbit' because he didn't know the correct name (having learned it by ear in Galicia).'

It's apparently just the second half of the tune (the first two parts requiring G#s), with Gary also noted as playing the two parts of Aires de Pontevedra in reverse order.

Master of nine?
firnatine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by firnatine »

I learned these two tunes last Feb. at this years Celtic Arts Foundation Winter School by of all people Gary West. In their Seabeck Collection For Small Pipes And Fiddles the first tune is listed as Galician March #1 and the second tune Galician March #2 ("Aires de Pontevedra"). Sorry not much help on the first tune. Both were very popular at the school and played at every evening session.

Frank
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

"Aires De Pontevedra" was probably first recorded in Scotland - and probably the UK - by PM Robert Mathieson, in the late 1980s, I would think. I learned it from his recording, and it's been a popular solo whistle piece since. It was me who posted the version at "thesession.org", although the parts should be repeated, and a few bars at the end of the 2nd part are missing. "The Kips Bay Ceili Band" in the USA recorded it not long after that, and more recently Sharon Shannon and other Irish musicians have picked up on it. I played it with Ross Ainslie in a session at Dougie MacLean's "Perthshire Amber" festival last November, and also at 3 concerts, so it would seem to be fairly well-accepted in Scotland these days.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"