What kind of bag do you use?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
MichaelRS
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

What kind of bag do you use?

Post by MichaelRS »

What kind (make, model, natural, synthetic) of bag do you use for your pipes? Why?
Did you change for some other kind? If so, Why?

What type of moisture control system, if any, does it have?
Do you have an opinion on canister systems? Such as, are they worth it or do they in anyway affect the playing or handling of your pipes?

With care, what do you understand to be the "lifespan" of your bag?

Thanks
MRS
Ciarameddaru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What kind of bag do you use?

Post by Ciarameddaru »

I use goat hide bags cured with either salt or copper. I currently have three bags. Once was made in Campania and the other is from Sicily although I currently have it hooked up to a Calabrian pipe. My third bag was made by Sean Folsom from a Californian goat. It received multiple complements in Rome this past February by Italians impressed that an American could tie off a case skinned goat. :)

I don't know anything about moisture control systems as they are not used on non-celtic pipes as far as I know. The skeptic in me would have to guess that they are a gimmick. It just seems like something to mess with. I can't ever imagine putting that in an Italian bag or how it might help things much.

I have used Dreadnaught seasoning before on Goat bags, which I think has helped keep the bag from getting stiff and keeping it air tight. I also have rubbed cheap body cream on the outside of the bag. I think they can last several years if taken care of. I have had small holes develop that I have closed with super glue gel.
Zampogna: The Soul of Southern Italy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pa4W7iA5So
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

well I know youre asking specifically about Highland pipes, so,
you have a plethora of choices: goat, sheep, cowhide, deer; goretex, gore covered with suede, with or without zippers, in 4 or more sizes, pre-cut, un-cut;
and even more choices in moisture control (MCS), gutter traps, tube traps, bottle traps, and that whole heinous aqualung setup that really belongs on the Jacques Cousteau show...
Pipers go through several bags before they find one they stay with.
I have one 13 year old treated & sewn cowhide, and several suede-covered pre cut goretex wiht zippers & bottle trap.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I have a Sean Folsom bag on my Kaba Gaida!! Still plays great after quite a few years.

For over 20 years I played a Michael MacHarg "elkhide" bag on my uilleann pipes, until I sold that set. Now I'm playing a CJ Dixon bag.

On my Miniature Highland Pipes is a Goretex bag I bought from Jerry Gibson.

On my Highland pipes I have an old L&M "elkhide" bag. Those things last forever. I have an old L&M bag from the 1980s that's still fine, sitting around waiting for a set of pipes to go onto.

The modern synthetic Highland pipe bags with grommets and zips tend to come apart after a few years. I played a Ross bag for several years with no issues but I've known other pipers who have had their Ross bags either start leaking or actually burst open at one of the seams.

Perhaps the best Highland bag I ever played was a Gannaway. So comfortable, and strike-ins and cut-offs so effortless. But after two years the zip came loose from the bag. (Ironic, because I never used the zip.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
MichaelRS
Tell us something.: I'm interested in the tin whistle as a hobby. I'm here mainly to get information on the playing qualities of various types of whistles.

Post by MichaelRS »

Thank you all so far for your responses. I hope there will be more.

Yes, I know, NOW, that there are many variations on types of bags, but I figure most people who are "in the know" would have widded that down to a few of the best and be using those.

And although I myself am a LONG way off from it really being a big problem for me at this point, I'm sure others much closer to the issue might like the info.

Plus, it just never occurred to me, until I recently saw a pipe makers ad that pointed out that the bag was a separate purchase from the "hardware", that a set of bagpipes might not come with a bag, for the price, and thus you'd have to select between one of a score or so and pay extra along the way.

And IS a moisture control "system" a gimmick or more trouble that it is worth? Well, again, that is for those that have had practical "field" experience with such to educate the rest of us.

Thus far, here, and on other sites, the name Gannaway keeps coming up with some very positive reviews.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

MichaelRS wrote: And IS a moisture control "system" a gimmick or more trouble that it is worth?
Michael RS, its an excellent question ,
and one that is divisive among pipers.(ask 2 pipers, get 5 answers :lol: )
The answer is of course: YES. to both.
Many feel its a gimmick, and still many others feel its essential.

Unfortunately the only certain path is to try sucessive bags until an optimal fit (in terms of ease of maintenance, moisture control, price, tone, and ergonomics,) is found.

Why dya think theres so many choices in the matter? 'cos theres no two blowers alike. Ya get the best fit, or make tha one ya have work. :shrug:
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

About MCS (moisture control systems) my understanding is that they were invented in response to the widespread use of synthetic drone reeds.

Back when I started piping and cane was all there was nobody needed MCS, other than a watertrap (in the blowpipe stock, or the tube style). It's because cane drone reeds don't have large flat smooth interfacing surfaces like sythetic drone reeds do, surfaces which by capillary action clap shut when wet.

When it can really bite you in the butt is when you're playing in a pipe band at a competition and you might play your pipes for a straight hour (or more) before you go "into the circle". Many's the drone reed that shuts off or squeals in band competition, that never would do under normal circumstances. MCS keeps the synthetic drone reeds dry so that they keep playing reliably.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Celtpastor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Celtpastor »

I use Gore since 1997, also try to change as many pipes with trad bags to Gore as I possibly can. With Gore, You don't need any MCS, since it's an MCS by itself. You can even mouthblow Smallpipes with Canereeds if You use Gore and the Reeds can possibly last for Years! And You won't have any problems with the PETA ;-)

The problems are: Gore is a lot lighter than Skin/Leather, so the feeling to play is some different. And bags without Covers look REALLY cheap with Gore... To solve these problems, You can use a Cover made from Fur/Skin/Leather - or artificial Fur/Skin/Leather ;-)
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

can't tell ya MichaelRS, how many highland players Ive seen over the years with a wet spot on their goretex bag. :P mmm attractive. :lol:
So depending on wether or not youre a 'wet blower', (or a dry blower) & of coures what drone reeds you settle on, mcs is highly reccomended, imo, on gore bags.
The other criticism I have on goretex bags on GHB;s is that: its feels like blowing into a shower cap. For me, there just isnt a sense that there's something solid & reliable under my arm. But if it works it works, eh. thats why theres so many choices.
MichaelRS

Post by MichaelRS »

Thank you all for your experienced insight.

MRS
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes GoreTex bags have a strange feel to them and take some getting used to.

When I first got a Ross bag it felt so strange, like a limp rag hanging there. I got used to it after a while.

One thing, many pipers find it difficult to get clean cut-offs with GoreTex bags, and/or clean strike-ins. I think it's just a matter of practice.

For sure these things are easier on a traditional sheepskin or hide bag. The best for that stuff that I tried was the Gannaway... both strike-ins and cut-offs are effortless.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle