Pipes and Pop Music

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
s1m0n
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Pipes and Pop Music

Post by s1m0n »

Northumbrian piper Katherine Tickell played on a few of Sting's solo albums. I gather he's also a Geordie. And I suspect most of the popstars who have played or sung on various Chieftains records over the years (Mick Jagger, for instance) were trading session-musician favours with Paddy Moloney. He'd guest on a track from one of their projects, and they repay the favour by singing something he could use on a Chieftains project.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
sean an piobaire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sean an piobaire »

HI ALL YOU SURFERS AND GREASERS.....LOOK UP THE "BAGPIPE USAGE IN ROCK AND JAZZ",
ON DEAR OLD WIKI-PEDIA ENGLISH EDITION....
SEAN ON THE COAST, LOOKIN' FOR WAVES..........PLAYIN RON WILSON AND HIS SURFARIS
"LOST IT IN THE SURF" (1987) ON MY CD PLAYER
tansy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

what type of poipes are they usin on that CD :D
shy the blond water
sean an piobaire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sean an piobaire »

Hello Mr. Tansy,
There's no Poi on the Pipes, but I used my "Tayloresque" Irish Pipes on "Moonshine"
and my 1971 R.G. Hardie GHB on "Louie Louie".
That track is probably one of the better covers of that tune, by Richard Berry (RIP),
and Drummer Ron Wilson knew the words !
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

projektio28 wrote:
There is a piper out here in Los Angeles I really like named John Allan, he has a celtic rock band called Stand Easy that features a ton of GHB. I think you would like them Celtpastor since its mostly traditional tunes put to rock chords, but even the original stuff rocks!

Of course! They're great! Just forgot to mention them (silly me...), thanx for reminding me They still have only one CD out so far, right?
Hey....that's the band I've played in for the last 5 years. We've got some sample tunes and pix here: http://www.myspace.com/standeasy
Thanks for your kind words...
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.