For Sale: Two sets of Northumbrian Smallpipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Tim Hall
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

For Sale: Two sets of Northumbrian Smallpipes

Post by Tim Hall »

I have two sets of NSPs that need good homes for the holidays.

The first is an eleven-key set by Ray Sloan (www.raysloan.com, but he no longer makes NSP) in blackwood, brass and imitation ivory. Four drones with tuning beads. Traditional pitch of nominal G, actual F+; includes bellows and functional if not terribly attractive case. Chanter reed by Colin Ross; drone reeds metal bodied with cane or plastic tongues. Asking price USD$2000 in the interest of a quick sale.

The second is a keyless three-drone set by an anonymous, and presumably nonprofessional, maker. Making one's own pipes is traditional in the NSP community. This set is also in blackwood, brass and imitation ivory, but is not in anywhere near the league of the Sloan set. Drone reeds by Colin Ross, and very sweet-sounding; chanter reed is anonymous. Chanter scale not quite in tune with itself - could be the reed, could be some holes need moving. Includes bellows, but no case. Asking price $300, or make me an offer.

I can send digital pics of either or both sets or any other information to anyone interested. I also have a couple of squeezeboxes and a good clawhammer banjo for sale; check those forums if interested.

Thanks

Tim Hall
hillhr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Northumbrian smallpipes

Post by hillhr »

I'm very interested in the 11-keyed Ray Sloan set you have for sale..if it is still available.
Do you have photos you could send via email? Also something of the history of the pipes--do you know if they have been played much, oiled, and otherwise tenderly cared for? Also have they a hard case?

I'd appreciate hearing all the details you can offer, including their pitch. Is it traditional F pitch?

Looking forward to hearing from you
Honor Hill
Dallas, TX