New to the board

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
wemlass
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New to the board

Post by wemlass »

Hi Folks,

This is my first post here, and there is SOOOoo much good stuff on this board that hubby aint getting dinner tonight :^)

I have played highland pipes for a number of years, but along with a diagnosis of MS came a serious reduction in "wind" capacity, so for the past year or so I have been teaching myself Scottish smallpipes. I now have an "A" set from Lauriebeck (IoW). However, with hubby being a banjo player (5 string), I decided to go for a set of border pipes in "G" as I figured they would be louder and brighter; also with the added versatility of half-tones. The maker I chose was Deerness pipes in Durham, up in the north of England. They arrived 3 weeks ago.. two days before a 2 week trip to Arkansas (folk music capital of the USA). I could hardly wait to get back to England. Well, I was absolutely blown over by these. They were built by Ian of Deerness (his first, entirely solo commercial project), and they were eventually set up by Paul of Horseplay. Here's a link to samples of some of their stuff:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/horseplay

I have ended up with a wonderful, all bells-and-whistles set of border pipes (stops galore!) that have a breathtakingly beautiful tone. The build is of African blackwood/hawthorn/elm/silver.

My intention is to spend the winter teaching myself to play these to a reasonable degree... is that realistic? I also play acoustic folk guitar, whistles, clarinet and mountain dulcimer when time permits :^)

I have a fingering chart to work from and a few U_tube extracts... a few CDs.. does anyone have any pointers towards anything else that might be helpful to me?

All answers appreciated!

Cheers!
AaronMalcomb
antispam: No

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Congrats on the new pipes. Do post photos.

I like Paul's sound on the 'Roughshod' CD so you will surely be starting on a well setup instrument.

Whereabouts in Arkansas are you going? I'm a Lyon College alumnus which is in Batesville, some 45 minutes from Mountain View.

The main thing with border pipes is that the intonation is extra sensitive to pressure changes so the goal is to get very steady on the bag. Also because you can cross-finger accidentals, crossing noises and false fingering will stick out more so make your execution very clean.

The highest note, High G in your case, is less stable so if one is coming up in a tune and it's about ready for a gust from the bellows either get your pump in early or squeeze through the High G and take your pump afterwards.

Enjoy and have a great trip to Arkansas.
wemlass

Post by wemlass »

Hi There,

Many thanks for your helpful reply. We just spent two weeks in Northern Arkansas..and we passed through Batesville. What a very lucky chap you are to have that fabulous place on your doorstep. We loved Mountain View and Eureka Springs. The Buffalo was spectacular..best canoeing trip I've ever done! Couldn't believe the number of folk groups playing around the Mountain View courthouse...I've never seen so many string basses in one place at one time :^)

I now know exactly what you're talking about re. the pressure. It seems that every note requires "its" particular pressure. VERY different to the smallpipes. My first few attempts at scales had the Siamese running for cover, convinced they were being pursued by angry bullocks!

However, after my first two hours' intensive practice last night (ouch!), I am getting there, and I'm addicted!

One query... my D drone sounds rather "wobbly", as though it's not getting enough air. Could this be a reed problem? It's nowhere near as loud as the other two. Also, to tune my low "G" (which has the pitch of an elephant in heat) I have had to extend the slides a long way. I guess I could, in fact, play these with an "A" chanter if I wanted to..

Anyways, thanks for the reply. I will get pix posted in the not-so-distant future.

All The Best
Caroline
mukade
antispam: No

Post by mukade »

Welcome to the board.

I am in the same boat as you.

I just got a set of Garvie border pipes today. Compared to the uilleann pipes I have played over the years, they take no air at all to blow. It is going to be very tricky to control them.

You said you have some Lauriebeck pipes - I have a set on order right now.

Another coincidence - your new pipes are from Durham. So am I :)
I will check out Deerness the next time I am back home.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
wemlass

Post by wemlass »

Hi Mukade,

Sounds like you're not living in Durham right now? One of my pattern-makers lives in Co. Durham. We visit from Shropshire so I know the area pretty well.

I almost got a set of Garvies but Ian made me an offer I couldn't resist :^)

My Lauriebeck smallpipes are a sweet instrument. The chanter's great. They are much easier to play than the Border Pipes and were pretty inexpensive. He posted this part-completed set (poss. an order cancellation?) on E-Bay and I won them at £150.00 off the retail price. He completed them to my spec, except I had him make an A chanter for me as extra (they easily tune down to A). Nice guy, great service.

Enjoy those Garvies!

Now, back to the Nikon as I'm just taking a few pix of mine....

Cheers,
Caroline