Your next Bagpipe adventure

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!

I've always wanted to play:

Great Highland Bagpipe
8%
Scottish Small Pipes, Border/Lowland pipes, Reel or 3/4 size GHB
8%
Northumbrian Smallpipes
25%
Uilleann Pipes (Pastoral pipes as a subset)
25%
Biniou-Kozh (Veuze)
3%
Gaita (Spain)
8%
Cornemuse Du Centre (Fr.) (includes all varieties)
11%
Zampogna (includes all varieties)
6%
Medieval/Rennaisance revival Pipes
6%

Total votes: 36

CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Your next Bagpipe adventure

Post by CHasR »

Which pipe yould you most prefer to take up next? (sorry, you can only pick one)
We're talking 'wish-list' here, assume money and time are no obstacle,

One caveat:

Say, for instance, you play Border pipes in Bb, then choosing Border Pipes in D would not be an option. Pick a pipe you DON'T already play; but would LIKE to....

If you dont see your particular dream-pipe here, then tell us in a post + I'll make another poll to include it (if allowed) as one can only submit so many choices.
(Sweedish, Hungarian, Czech, Bulgarian, etc all got bumped...)

Ive tried to group them as close as I can...
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I played cornemuse du centre for some time, and pretended to play the uilleann pipes when I had a Rogge practise set on loan. My narrow bore D chanter by Mr. Rogge will be ready soon, so I will take up the UP next. :)
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

Why did all those E European ones get bumped? Any idea?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Yuri wrote:Why did all those E European ones get bumped? Any idea?
Not my choice...
one can only enter 9 poll options.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I chose Northumbrian pipes. I already play GHB, SSP, and UP and I seriously doubt I'll ever take up another member of the bagpipe family, but I suppose that if I did, Northumbrian pipes would be most tempting...
wgority

Post by wgority »

I had to pick Zampogna (which I really do want to learn to play someday) because I already play all the rest...........
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

My latest adventure has been Julian Goodacre's Cornish Double Pipes (which kinda fits in your Ren revival category, but is completely different from what most Ren guys play). But true, I don't see gaida there...
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

pancelticpiper wrote:My latest adventure has been Julian Goodacre's Cornish Double Pipes (which kinda fits in your Ren revival category, but is completely different from what most Ren guys play). But true, I don't see gaida there...
I kept trying to add more options, + wouldnt post...
altho, there seems to be a LOT of interest in NSP....
OnlyAnEgg

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

Indeed, my next adventure is to learn the GHB. I bought my chanter yesterday. I have a tuner on my pc to train my pitch and I'm soon to find an instructor!
Helloooooo, Chieftans!

Helloooooo, Brak!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

OnlyAnEgg wrote:I have a tuner on my pc to train my pitch...
To get the true GHB tuning experience, change your tuner settings every 10 minutes.

Just kidding but actually GHB players exist in a range of tuning. Practice chanters are usually a few cents sharp of A=440, solo pipes are often in the 472-476 range and band pipes go up from there to 482 on a hot day.

Once you find a teacher you'll get sorted. Whereabouts in Ohio are you?

I didn't answer the bagpipe poll because I'm exercising my will power. :wink:
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

I said UP, since if i were to learn somethign new that's waht it'd be; my next goal, tho, is a bellows-blown A/Dset of smallpipes. Right now I have Gibson Ceilidhs in A, mouthblown, and they're nice, but... yeah.
OnlyAnEgg

Post by OnlyAnEgg »

AaronMalcomb wrote:
OnlyAnEgg wrote:I have a tuner on my pc to train my pitch...
To get the true GHB tuning experience, change your tuner settings every 10 minutes.

Just kidding but actually GHB players exist in a range of tuning. Practice chanters are usually a few cents sharp of A=440, solo pipes are often in the 472-476 range and band pipes go up from there to 482 on a hot day.

Once you find a teacher you'll get sorted. Whereabouts in Ohio are you?

I didn't answer the bagpipe poll because I'm exercising my will power. :wink:
I'm east of Columbus about 20 miles or so, in Newark.

Oy! The first day with the chanter! I've never blown a double reed before. I thought I'd pass out! My daughter came over (she's 14) and played a scale on it and every time she blew a note, I made a farm animal sound. So, it's (as I knew it would be) music AND fun :)
Helloooooo, Chieftans!

Helloooooo, Brak!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Mr(s). Egg, I sent you a PM.

I went ahead and voted for uilleann pipes though that is going to be a ways down the road. My second choice would be a Breton bagpipe, most likely veuze since I don't think I could get my big mitts to play that tiny biniou kozh chanter.

I don't know about some of the cornemuses du centre or the medieval/renaissance pipes but the majority of the pipes listed have double reeds in the chanter. Maybe that could be a way to qualify the poll a bit better: double reed family v. single reed family.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

AaronMalcomb wrote:Mr(s). Egg, I sent you a PM.

I don't know about some of the cornemuses du centre or the medieval/renaissance pipes but the majority of the pipes listed have double reeds in the chanter. Maybe that could be a way to qualify the poll a bit better: double reed family v. single reed family.
CDC's , to the best of my knowledge, are all DR chanter, SR drones; including Cabrette, Chabrette, Chabra, Bechonnet, Nivernais, Limousin, Bourbonaisse, Mayonaisse, oops :D

Medi/Renn pipes tend to be 'western-euro' in design, (DR chanter, SR drones) but there are exceptions, I'm sure. SR chanters are firmly in the eastern-euro family of pipes. If Yuri's watching this he's more knowledgable than I about the varieties of Medi/Renn pipes around today.

never handled a BiniouKozh, eh? We'll have to remedy that somehow... :P :wink:
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Well, the Mayonnaise pipes (and pies) are really good for the mediaeval repertoire.
Theing is, no-one really knows just what went on in mediaeval times. Recently in France they excavated a 10th c. town, that was built on the shores of a lake, and due to global warming in the 10th c. it got flooded. (I'm actually not kidding) So what do they find? A what is now classified as a bagpipe chanter, it's double, with fingerholes on one bore only, in short the same (in principle as the boha of France, and also the Hungarian duda and related thingies. Also the Basque alboka and all the North African pipes)
What I'm getting at is that while since the Renaissance you can broadly divide pipes as DR chanter/SR chanter, it's a moot point whether it was always so. Swedish pipes spring to mind as well. Also one of the very oldest pipes in existance is a Czech set dated to 1527 if I remember rightly. So Czechia is E. Europe, right? Well, have a look on the map. It isn't. Just so happens that the Soviet Union occupied it during WW2, that's all. Praetorius writes about the Bock, that's the Czech duda exactly. (he doesn't actually specify the reeds for the Bock, but it just too similar to the duda to mistake.)
And then there is the Zampogna and related ones, like surdelina. They seem to have had sort of interchangeable reeds, and they are ancient, aren't they, Charlie? When I listened to a recording of the Sardinian launeddas (unbroken history of at least2700 years), I was struck by the similarity of the music to that of the Zampognia.
Then the Welsh double chanter, but I think I made my point, however hazy it is.