SSP questions

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

SSP questions

Post by Doc Jones »

OK SSPmeisters,

I have a couple of questions.

I just got a gorgeous, 3-drone set of Garvie SSP in A (yup, snagged the set that was on eBay).

The workmanship is lovely and the tone and response are to die for. I'm quite deilghted.

I had a D Walsh set come through the store on a trade-in a while back and thought they were quite nice and a very good set for the money. It was then that the SSP bug bit me. At the time, I was in the throes of NSP and wasn't willing to get too serious with SSP. Since then, I've laid aside the NSP in favor of the SSP. Something in my wild Celt genes found the NSP just a bit too tame. THe SSP are hitting the spot nicely.

So, here are my questions...

First, where do I go to acquire repertoire. Are there websites with good collections of MP3 or midi files one can listen to (99% of my tune acqisition is by ear)? Many of the tunes I play are not finishable due to the limited range of the SSP. This was my primary reason for going with NSP over SSP. However, the SSP are so much more of a blast to play I doubt I'll ever go back to NSP. Surely instruments as old as the GHB/SSP have a big reperatoire somewhere out there.

Second, Who are the great players and what CDs should I get? :)

My third question is whether I could use this set to play a D chanter? Anybody know? I'll contact the maker as well but thought I'd ask here.

Thanks in advance.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

If its learning by ear you like, the only place I have seen and can recommend is this blog, with quite a bit of Podcasts and lessons from an aspiring teacher, if I remember correctly.

http://smallpiper.blogspot.com/

Check it out, she is quite good, and I believe it fits your bill perfectly. I also believe that The Tannahill Weavers has a few smallpipe tunes on their albums. Also, since SSP and GHB music goes nicely together and is to a point interchangeable, don't be afraid to pick up some Gordon Duncan. He's an excellent piper, with more than a few well known compositions ("Andy Renwick's Favourite Ferret" comes to mind), and a good guy as well. 'Tis a pity he passed away.

Also, don't completely throw out sheet music. With the SSP tradition being so close to GHB, its no surprise that most music is acquired in the same manner, and many great tunes available in books. There's an Irish Tune Book I have that has many excellent settings for some excellent tunes. There's a setting for "O'Dublishane's Jig/The Hag at the Churn" in there that is a blast to play, and is easy to pick up. Gods I love that tune. Anyway, there's no shame in looking at the dots.

As for recordings, I believe Iain MacInnes (sp?) has a CD out, "Tryst", as well as pipers like Fred Morrison and Hamish Moore that are excellent too. Other than them, your best bet is solo Highland pipers. Youtube also has a few good videos out, however you might want to wade through some of the under par stuff first. There's a bit.
Last edited by Lexxicos on Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Men are decieved if they think themselves free." - Benedict Spinoza

AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Good suggestions from Lexxicos.

I would also look into The Lowland and Border Pipers' Society. They have some good collections and there are loads of valuable info in back issues of 'Common Stock' which are now available on CD-ROM.

It's only natural that you take to the SSP, Doc. The modern SSP chanter is really an open ended NSP chanter adjusted for GHB fingering. If you still crave more wildness, Nigel Richards also makes fine border pipes.

-Aaron

Edit to add that some must have SSP CDs are the 'Grand Concert of Piping' series and 'The Piper & The Maker' which feature other pipes but have stellar SSP tracks.
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Can you use a D chanter in the nigel's A set? Tricky question. I haven't tried it but I have discussed it before. Technically, a d chanter should work since nigel drones can be tuned AEA or ADA. The obvious problem is that you will have a much stronger A drone sound than a D drone sound ...if that makes sense. Maybe if you stopped the bass A drone the balance might be better. Let us know what Nigel says as all I have said is speculation. :)

Good suggestion all around for tunes and cds... another cd ...get Pipedown's two albums...some nice smallpipe work on them
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Doc: I know just what you mean regarding the SSP, they are wonderful and I'm lucky to have a very beautiful set made by Colin Ross; I have an A chanter as well as one in Bb, both work well in my set.

Aaron gave some good advice when he suggested the Lowland and Borer Pipers' Society. Best organization I've come accross when it comes to the SSP's. I'm a member and I can recommend to you their publications, one in particular that I like is entitled, "Suggested Duets & Harmonies." I think that I have all of their publications and they are really nice. Well, enjoy and pump your socks off. Don.