Source for bags for a Macedonian Gaida?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
J-dub
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Source for bags for a Macedonian Gaida?

Post by J-dub »

Any one know where to get properly skinned and cured goat hides for a Macedonian Gaida? I recently aquired an older Gaida that needs a new bag. I'd like to try to find an authentic replacement first, i.e. hair on the inside, leg and neck holes for the stocks etc. Dispatching my own goat and skinning it is not the route I'd like to take at this point (there is a dearth of goats in my neighborhood I'm afraid).

Thanks.

John.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Google "bulgariana". I tink it is actually "bulgariana.com They have the whole range of instruments at really affordable prices.And bags.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Thanks Yuri,

Looks like they have what I need. I tried patching the old bag, but it just tears more at the slightest provocation. Not suprising since it is at least 30-50 years old.

Thanks again.
John.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I think a better source would be Zdravko Beshendjiev, he makes gaida, and wouldn't charge you as much as Bulgariana. His email is ejkobeshko @ abv.bg When you put the stocks in the new bag, make sure to moisten the openting a bit, as it will shrink onto the stock a bit when it dries. Also I find when re-tying my own, that nylon kite string works really good.
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

Yo Ted, thanks. Does Zdravko speak english? I can muster some phrases in Hrvastki, but not Bulgarian.

BTW, remember I bought that Slovakian Gajdy off of you last year, the one made by Juraj Dufek? Gajdy is playing nicely, although I have not had enough time to devote to it. Still need to get a hold of some music to learn from. Everyone who sees it thinks it is really cool looking! I found that it is really useful in removing teenagers from my house -now when they see me going for the Gajdy, they're gone!

I picked up the Macedonian Gaida in question on eBay so I could spread myself even thinner! It's a very nice older gaida, boxwood with horn mounts, all I need is a bag.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

Glad to see you found a purpose for the gajdy, sadly it seems to attract kids(before they hit there teens), so be careful with it. Zdravko speaks english very well, I had ordered three kaval from him, was a great experience every time. I hope to order a nice gaida from him soon, his prices are very reasonable, it doesn't take to long, and he is very particular that you get the instrument that is right for you.
BzzzzT

Post by BzzzzT »

You can get a gajda bag at Macedonian direct.

http://macedoniadirect.com/instruments/gajda.htm

I have seen a patch where you take a wooden spool and put it where the leak is then tie it off for gaida bags. I had a big gaida that had this fix done to it and it worked well. Though it sounds like you just need a new bag.

- Jason