A good Breton question:

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
CHasR
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

A good Breton question:

Post by CHasR »

Does anyone know; if there is a certain, trad, set formula for orchestrating the antiphonal/responsorial pairing of Bombarde + Biniou?
For instance:
(Biniou solo plain text; biniou + bombarde together bold text)

AA, BB, A'B', AB,C ?

or is it entirely up to the individual demands of the tune + artistry of the players
:-?
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

Can't answer that one, but I have a question, too. Is there anything like that in zampogna-chiaramella music, too, or is it always zmpogna- background, chiaramella- melody?
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

As far as I know, there's no 'set-in-stone' formula for the trad material; The tempi + agogics are standard of course(Tarantella, Saltarellos, Siciliana etc), but there are plenty of zampogna-only melodies.

My Ciaramellist + I trade the melody around when possible, but it depends on what the tune wants. There's no shortage of very interesting + inventive 'part-playing' for the Z+C pair.

Whereas, in strict trad Biniou + Bombarde, there always seems to be a set pattern of who cadences the old period + who introduces the next phrase. Its got an internal logic which seems uncontrived to the players.

One would think; in the 2 regions where paired oboe+ pipe playing is common, there'd be more similarities; I dont hear them; The Italian music seems more diatonic, + the Breton tends to modality.
Guess there's no Bretons on the forum....am I wrong?
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'll caveat that my experience is very limited but my recollection of sonneurs couples is that it usually goes AA, BB etc. with the bombarde trailing its last note of the A line then coming back in on the pick up notes to the B part. Obviously they don't adhere too strictly to that pattern or it would get very repetitive.

Yec'hed mat!
wgority

Post by wgority »

Darn.....too late to be the first responder! I've gotta check in here more often! But anyhoooo.....my experiences and listening jibe with Aaron's comments above.

A-Part
Unison, repeat,
Biniou, repeat,
B-Part
Unison, repeat,
Biniou, repeat,
Etc.

The blending note(s) mentioned by Aaron which are played as the bombarde re-enters is a great rhythmic device which reinforces the melody.

An alternate approach that I like is to have the bombarde enter a couple notes (sometimes up to a measure) early playing a brief harmony line that joins the unison line with the biniou when the repeat truly begins. I've heard recordings by Forzh Penaos where they use this technique to great effect.

Whadaya think Charlie, should we do a Breton session at Killington this year? (Even if we are forced to do it outside by the wooses saying "binious and bombardes are too loooooooooud!"?) Maybe we can get the bar to stock some cider......... Aaron, you should come!

kenavo ar c'hentañ
Bill
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

mm-hmm: so the Bombarde takes the lead, + introduces all the new motifs, is what I was getting at.

I'm putting up some of the Kevrenn Alre Bagad overnite after their 7pm 3/20/07 concert (at Duffy's catering on Lancaster Ave, in Berwyn PA, www.bzh-ny.org ), so if they're talkative I wanna pry some more info from them.

Doubt they'll be in a playing mood ( I certainly wouldnt be after a gig), but Im hoping~!

We tried to have a Breton micro-session at Lois's this past summer, but location was....let's say....really an issue....
wgority

Post by wgority »

CHasR wrote:We tried to have a Breton micro-session at Lois's this past summer, but location was....let's say....really an issue....
If I recall arightly, the weather didn't help either............
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

CHasR wrote:Doubt they'll be in a playing mood ( I certainly wouldnt be after a gig), but Im hoping~!
Granted, I've only been to a couple festoú noz, but my experience is that you'll have a hard time keeping folks from not playing, even after a gig.
wgority wrote:Whadaya think Charlie, should we do a Breton session at Killington this year? (Even if we are forced to do it outside by the wooses saying "binious and bombardes are too loooooooooud!"?) Maybe we can get the bar to stock some cider......... Aaron, you should come!
I'd like to go to Killington some time. I'll see if this year is a possibility. I'll be saving up for a trip to NZ next year so it'll depend.
phcook

Post by phcook »

You're wrong, Chas, there are several Bretons here.

Aaron, who is a fine Breton music player, is right.

Breton music played with biniou and bombarde is most of time dance music.

So you need first to know whay kind of dance you're playing. Then, as the biniou has a bag, the melody is played continuously, while the bombarde plays the first part of theme (often 8 beats) and take a breath during the repetition by the biniou alone.

For instance, let see a gavotte.

The "ton simple" consists in a first phrase A, 8 beats, and a second one A', 8 beats, which sightly differs from A. Ir's played as follow:

A couple
A biniou
A' couple
A' biniou

then you play it again, and chain with another "ton simple".

Best regards
Breizh soner
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

phcook wrote:You're wrong, Chas, there are several Bretons here.

Aaron, who is a fine Breton music player, is right.

Best regards
Yes, I was hoping to draw out those who know...

& That's exactly what I had wanted to confirm;
that the bombarde plays the 'lead' + BiniouKoz the 'echo', not vice-versa.
THANKS ALL :D