borderpipe reed questions------HELP !!!!!!!!

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
unreconstructed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

borderpipe reed questions------HELP !!!!!!!!

Post by unreconstructed »

i'm reeding up a set of hughes borderpipes in A, the chanter reed supplied
was equipped with a rubber band bridle and unplayable. before I say more let me say that I do have expierence with GHP,SSP and UP reeds, that said the reeds i've made have copper wire bridles but I keep running into the same problems a flat C and flat hign A. I first chose to de bug the high A by clipping off a hair off the blades which works fine with UP reeds but it threw everything off with the border pipe reeds. what could be the problem, am I sanding the blades too thin not enough or what.
any tips
james clark
I'm the person your mother warned you about. ;-)
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

You know, in this enlightened age of internet radio and podcasts, somebody really should do a bagpipes-related version of a show like "Car Talk."

Clipping the blades of a UP reed really should only be done as a last resort if you've tried everything else and preferably if you have the concurring opinion of a couple of other people who know what they're doing.

At any rate, it's not too surprising that a Border pipe chanter reed would react differently to a bit of the old snip-snip than a UP chanter reed would...Have you tried contacting the maker about your dilemma? It could be that perhaps his style of reedmaking is a tad idiosyncratic and the chanter may only function right with his style of reeds. Or perhaps you're having some problems with bag pressure and that's why the C and the high A sound flat...

If you haven't done so already, I'd try and get in touch with the maker. If he's a reputable person to deal with, he should be willing to help.
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Yuri »

Well, I don't have experience with border pipes as such, but quite a bit with other types. If the problem is consistently with only two notes being flat, and everythying else sounding fine, then it's the fact that the two notes in question have a slightly undersized fingerhole. To remedy this you'll need to enlarge them.This sounds daunting, but is actually a very straightforward thingy. You get some not-too-coarse sandpaper, say, grade P120-150 , not coarser, because that's too much, not finer, because that's too much work, and roll a small tight tube of it, just thin enough to get into the hole. Then you file away, frequently testing the emerging sound. By frequently I meanfrequently But do this only if you ar ereally confident that everything else is really sounding fine.
Lexxicos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Lexxicos »

Yuri wrote:Well, I don't have experience with border pipes as such, but quite a bit with other types. If the problem is consistently with only two notes being flat, and everythying else sounding fine, then it's the fact that the two notes in question have a slightly undersized fingerhole. To remedy this you'll need to enlarge them.This sounds daunting, but is actually a very straightforward thingy. You get some not-too-coarse sandpaper, say, grade P120-150 , not coarser, because that's too much, not finer, because that's too much work, and roll a small tight tube of it, just thin enough to get into the hole. Then you file away, frequently testing the emerging sound. By frequently I meanfrequently But do this only if you ar ereally confident that everything else is really sounding fine.

Before doing that, if you're not too confident, I would just push the reed in and tape the sharp notes down, flattening them to their correct pitch. It's better than possibly permenantly ruining a chanter.
"Men are decieved if they think themselves free." - Benedict Spinoza

The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Agreed. Only alter the holes if 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th-party authorities on the subject of reed and bagpipe making have examined the set and believe this to be your best option.

Don't be yet another one of the eeeevil masses that show up at pipemakers' workshops saying something like "I tried to fix it and now it doesn't work."
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Ah, the old story of getting a new pipe and bollocksing up the chanter reed because it didn't sound right. You joined an elite club. I've known of some very experienced pipers doing such a thing and regretting it.

Talk to the maker about a new reed. Then play that reed for a bit without altering it anymore than perhaps adding a wire bridle.

Borderpipes are highly pressure sensitive, more so than any GHB, SSP, or UP experience will remedy. It takes borderpipe experience.

If you can't play it in tune after a week or two, raise or lower the reed in the seat and tape holes. If that doesn't work and your DIY urges get the best of you, tinker with your old GHB reeds.

You can always replace a reed but not the timber of the chanter. Leave that responsibility to the instrument maker.