FS: Hardie Presentation Pipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
demon_piper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

FS: Hardie Presentation Pipes

Post by demon_piper »

Hey all, I'm selling a set of GHB's that don't get as much use as they should.

They are 69 Hardies, mounted in sterling and ivory, with a presentation plate for the original owner. They have omega reeds which were set up by a Grade 1 pipe major, a silver sole (chanter has since died) an silver and imitation ivory mouthpiece. Also silk chords, velvet bag cover, and aluminum flight case. Oh and a new generation canister bag.

Basically, a fantastic and mellow set of pipes, which once had a small crack in the base drone, that has been expertly repaired.

Engraving in all the silver is runic pattern and all but the sole (which is marked 61) was made in 69.

Drop me a line if interested they are $5000 Canadian OBO.

Thanks

Mark
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I'm salivating. Almost tempted to try and donate a kidney for some spare cash or something...

Pity about the chanter, though. I've known a few pipers that get seriously misty-eyed reminiscing about '60s Hardie chanters...
PiperPaul

Post by PiperPaul »

I have a Hardie ABW chanter with my Fletcher Bagpipes and it sounds good. I play it with an Apps reed medium strenght with quite success and with a Clanrye reed with bad results!

Cheers.
Paolo
demon_piper

Hardie

Post by demon_piper »

The chanter was broken by its orignal owner, and then kind of repaired. So unfortunately it wasn't anything that could be salvaged!
Mal

lHardie pipes

Post by Mal »

I can recommend Hardie pipes made in the late 1960's, made by Jim himself. I have a silver and ivory set (thistle pattern) myself. Hardies were the "new pipes" choice of knowledgeable pipers then. In this they had supplanted Robertsons, which were the until the mid 60's when Mr. Robertson died and they ceased to be made .

My Hardie chanter is a good stick, but Robertson is louder and more brilliant, particularly in the top hand... a little too much so, unfortunately, to be easily matched into an ensemble using newer chanters. Great for solo work, though.

THe loudest chanter I have is a Lawrie made around 1900 which would drown out any modern chanter. It was a good match with the Lawrie drones of the period.

Mal B.
Mal

lHardie pipes

Post by Mal »

I can recommend Hardie pipes made in the late 1960's, made by Jim himself. I have a silver and ivory set (thistle pattern) myself. Hardies were the "new pipes" choice of knowledgeable pipers then. In this they had supplanted Robertsons, which were the until the mid 60's when Mr. Robertson died and they ceased to be made .

My Hardie chanter is a good stick, but Robertson is louder and more brilliant, particularly in the top hand... a little too much so, unfortunately, to be easily matched into an ensemble using newer chanters. Great for solo work, though.

THe loudest chanter I have is a Lawrie made around 1900 which would drown out any modern chanter. It was a good match with the Lawrie drones of the period.

Mal B.
Mal

lHardie pipes

Post by Mal »

Mal B.
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Yeah, Hardie pipes took a bit of a dive, quality-wise later on.

Mind you, I play a set of Hardie drones, ca. early '90s with Henderson synthetic reeds and they're quite nice. Iain MacFadyen tried them once and said he quite liked them. The original Hardie chanter that came with the set wasn't good for much (though I used to use it occasionally when playing with musicians in concert Bb--with Warnock reeds, it was able to tune down there without much trouble). I've got a Shepherd Mk II chanter with the set now. Not exactly a Holy Grail set of pipes, but it suits me fine.

Mind you, what I'd really rather be playing is a nice, mellow set of pipes in A. After you get used to hearing those things, everything else sounds unbearably nasal and shrill. Hamish Moore makes them for quite a lot; Juilan Goodacre makes them for even more. I know of one maker in the US who has made a few very nice sounding sets, but I'm sworn to secrecy about who it is.

Hamish also based his concert Bb Highland pipes on an early 20th-century set of Henderson drones and a '60s Hardie Chanter. I've heard very favorable things about them from a couple of people who've played them.