Parlour/Reel pipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
lordofthestrings
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Parlour/Reel pipes

Post by lordofthestrings »

'Ello again all,

For some time, I've been thinkihn about getting an accoustic set of GHB's. (I do all me stuff on a Deger Electric Set, and a home-brew 'fipple pipes' I fabricated, and play either by blowign into the bag, or by use of a bellows) I've seen a few things aboot Parlour and Reel pipes; the smaller, less-loud versions of GHB. Anyone have a set of these, or any knoweledge aboot them? (worthy investment, where to get a good set, etc. etc.)

Thanks tonnes!
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

I've heard by virtually everyone that Border/reel pipes in particular are fussy about bag pressure, so it may take a little bit to get that right, as well as honing down the finger technique. Though, many say that the work they've had to do on their fingers to play tunes on the Border Pipes transfers extremely and builds up skill on the other pipes. Some excellent makers I know are:

http://www.hamishmoore.musicscotland.com/

http://www.borderpipes.co.uk/sessionpipenotes.htm

http://www.reelpipes.com/
"Men are decieved if they think themselves free." - Benedict Spinoza

demon_piper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

GHB/ Reel pipes

Post by demon_piper »

Check our Garvie bagpipes by Nigel Richards. I play an 04 set of his Session pipes, effectively a scaled down GHB in A, which uses a border chanter. They are mouthblown, tenor tenor base, over the should pipes. They aren't strictly true border pipes, so they use highland and partial cross chromatic fingering. You'll fiddle around getting used to them, and them up and running. But the moisture absorbtion system is very effective.

AKA They're easy to play, pitched in A, quieter than a GHB by far and still carry. I use them in sessions when smallpipes won't cut through, and play them as a low volume alternative at weddings etc.

Beannaicht leat

demon_piper
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

'tis a very subjective subject indeed....

I personally am enjoying my Gibson Fireside (mouthblown) pipes "in A";
Easy to pipe along w/ others as there's no transposition involved...they read about 75-80 Db 1 metre away on a radiosheck SPL meter...yeah, its 'practice-chanter-y', but definitely not either GHB , Border, SSP, or 'purely' practive chanter-like sound. :D