Tidy Cottage Smallpipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Lexxicos
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Tidy Cottage Smallpipes

Post by Lexxicos »

Hey guys,

I've got a set of C Smallpipes coming in March via EJ Jones at Tidy Cottage -

*Cough*http://www.piperjones.com/tidycottagesmallpipes.html*Cough*

*Gurgle*http://youtube.com/watch?v=nkuJUXZOVQQ*Gurgle*

- and I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with these pipes, and what I can or should expect from a set of Smallpipes. These ones in particular look to be of high quality, and at a pretty reasonable price, considering the other Smallpipes out there.
"Men are decieved if they think themselves free." - Benedict Spinoza

Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

I don't know anything about EJ's pipes, but I know hiim personally and can vouch for the guy's character. EJ's a good guy.
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
ceadach
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

Drool,.. smack..., lick lips... drool...

Those are some darn pretty smallpipes!!! Nice clip on YouTube too. I rather suspect you made a good investment.
"Kindness is a mark of faith, and whoever has not kindness has not faith."
Muhammad

"Immature poets imitate; mature poets steal; bad poets deface what they take, and good poets make it into something better, or at least something different."
T.S. Eliot
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

An even better one than it seems! I contacted him in mid-December, and ordered some Pipes from him at the $1050 mark for a full set (Not the deluxe). As it turns out, he changed his prices January 1st, saving me $250.

And yes, they are very beautiful. I just hope I can do them musical justice. I'm working on quite a bit of jigs, in shameless anticipation. My Pipe teacher is probably cringing that I'm somewhat neglecting my competition march, as well as the band's competition set.

gasper

Post by gasper »

Hi Lexxicos,

I have a A/D combo set of EJ's pipes and love them. I'd highly recommend them to anyone looking at a set of smallpipes. They certainly have a different characteristic tone (color?) than a set of Hamish's or Nigel's. Not worse, just different.

I'm having a few reed issues right now, but between the highland pipes and just starting on the uilleann pipes, I don't have the time to f-about w/ the baritone and now alto reed... :D so is life..

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Though, I suggest you check on the dunsire site first. There are many more experienced smallpipers than me there.

Best of luck w/ the new set

John
jdevereux
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jdevereux »

I've spent quite a lot of time hanging out in EJ's shop, and not only is he one of the best players/makers of Scottish smallpipes around, he's also a fantastic flautist and uilleann piper, and a truly great guy. EJ has been a major force in helping me get going making my own pipes (the lathe I use actually belongs to him), and has been incredibly generous in sharing any information or skills he has. His pipes are the nicest sounding smallpipes I've ever run across (mind you though, I'm an uilleann piper), and his borderpipe chanters blow everything else out of the water (IMO). To anyone looking for a top quality set of smallpipes, I would urge you to get in contact with EJ Jones.

-Jack Devereux
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

i have e-mailed him,and asked about his border chanters,but no answer, must still be in development?????
gasper

Post by gasper »

Last time I talked to EJ he had developed a nice prototype of the border chanter, but was still working on drones. My hunch is that he's still working on the design, but I haven't spoken with him in a while.

John
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I had talked to EJ about buying a border chanter from him early last autumn but other obligations arose. I'm sure drones are not far behind in design.

What style of reed does he have in his smallpipe drones? What about the bag?
gasper

Post by gasper »

He uses all cane reeds, and makes his own bags. Though I'm curious to try Ezee's (or another synthetic) in his pipes because the dry winter is playing hell with all of my pipes right now.

He actually has two styles of bags: one lightweight / fairly thin (his standard bag) and one heavy. I haven't tried the latter, but his standard bag is a maybe a little light for my taste. To each their own though.

The only other *slight* complaint I have is with the cut of the bag. I feel like it brings the top hand in a bit too close, but again it's just a personal preference thing.

John

ps: A friend told me a few weeks ago that EJ had just moved not too long ago. I'd say any delay in response might be due to the move (or maybe a back log of orders).
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

His lathe also apparently broke, so he had to send it to California to be repaired, hence my 2 week delay until April.