double chanters

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Yuri
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

double chanters

Post by Yuri »

Who plays double chantered pipes? I mean as in Julian Goodacre's Cornish ones, or Italian Zampognas, or, heaven forbid, Sardinian Launeddas, that are not bagpipes at all, unless you count the player's cheeks as a bag, and as a result this post will be closed as not applying. That was a long incoherent sentence.
Anyway, if you play any of these, what do you play?
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

I play a set of Goodacre Cornish double pipes in D. My set can be either mouth or bellows blown.

And I know there's a zampogna player around here somewhere (c'mon ChasR, 'fess up!) :D
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

MarkS wrote:
And I know there's a zampogna player around here somewhere (c'mon ChasR, 'fess up!) :D
And let's not forget Ted Anderson.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Sean Folsom too. Never thought of zamps as double chanters though...seems like those are in one stick of wood...or two canes stuck together in a...yoke, I think is Baines's term.
I've played Irish double chanters, dare I mention? Never one that played for squat at the time though.
Is it Croatian pipes that have triple and even quadruple chanters? Influenced the Hungarians they say...read about that at the Wikipedia Magar Dudya article...ack, sp?
Those East European pipes are easy to assemble/whittle out in some cases. Lash some bamboo tubes together and you've got a (bag)pipe.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

I have a double chanter for Scottish Smallpipes in the Key of A. It's quite a handful especially since therre are two seperate reeds and they don't always match completely. The sound produced really makes my dogs howel!
wgority

Post by wgority »

ME! ME! ME!

I've got Julian Goodacre Cornish Pipes in D and G, and a Hamish Moore SSP double chanter in D.

Also, I measured an uilleann pipes double chanter made by M. Dunn (around 1825 at my best estimate/guess, as well as the opinions of people I consulted) about 10 years ago. One of these days I intend to reproduce it.
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
CHasR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CHasR »

MarkS wrote:And I know there's a zampogna player around here somewhere (c'mon ChasR, 'fess up!) :D
whaddya doin ta me? Nabbed! :o
Hey Ive been kinda busy past week or so :party:

We're (Zampognari di Filadelfia)putting out a CD next Oct, just in time for the Columbus day rush. They cant get enough of us in Gloucester CO + South Philly. :thumbsup:

Ted + Sean are on here too (I've counted about 12 or so Zampognari stateside...are there more?) Leo Bottari, Brian Steeger, who else???

Hornpipes are the yoke-jobs, right? :-?
Theres also a really good Duda player on here, (Nemeth Miklos?) google 'galgadudazenekar' ....

Altho I'd love :love: to hear one of those double chantered UP's in person;

I really think Id make a concious(sic) decision to avoid at all costs the double chanterd ssp. :boggle: :shock:
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Sean Folsom too. Never thought of zamps as double chanters though...seems like those are in one stick of wood...or two canes stuck together in a...yoke, I think is Baines's term.
Sorry Kevin I forgot to mention; they're calling it a blocco these days.
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Now that we got rolling, the second half of the question. What (as in what music) do you play? By the way, are there any zampogna music collections out there? (as in sheet music) (It seems in English I have to clarify every other word)
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

The best source for printed zamp music is Utriculus, the mag published by Circolo 4 x yearly. Antonietta Caccia (Signora La Presidente) has said to me there arent much printed musics. There used to be a method book 4/S herehttp://www.zampogna.ch/itineranti.htm but its gone, or blocked, now.

There's several 'standard' tunes, (Tu Scende Della Stella; Piva, Piva; some Novenas, etc). Tunes are aurally spread. There's a great deal of improv too. Like some baroque, there's a lot of 'divisions over a ground' sort of thing going on. Some Zampognari are pushing the envelope with their groups + playing recently, its a pretty happening scene.(Un sceno happenario?)

The way its been related to me is that after WWII there were less than 10 craftsmen making zampogne in Italy + Sicily; :cry: the instrument underwent a redesign in the 50's-60's (after all those horrible out of tune historical recordings by Lomax) :evil: + the current generation is reaping the benefits of that. Kids are really latching onto it, so I hear. Even so, researchers are still finding 'one-off' regional types of zampogna. For instance, they're talking about a single-reeded 1 or 2 droned keyless Molise-type in the current Utriculus, endemic to just a few towns south of Isernia.

I must by now sound like a walking commercial for the Circolo, but they have a double DVD out which has much more zampogna music than the reccomended daily allowance.
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

well, I'll add my name as the possessor of a zampogna, though I don't get to play it much, unless my wife is out of the house....I'm still trying to work out how to use it with Scottish musicians - vamping on arpeggios is where I am beginning.

I got mine from this address:
http://www.anciamanovella.com/page-gb.p ... &codice=25

Deiv doesn't make them himself, but he does prepare them for sale, and mine played right out of the box. The chanter notes were even in tune! Plastic reeds and bag, too, and turned from lovely olive wood, so very reasonable at the price Deiv charges.

One day soon I'll manage to play "Drops of Brandy" on it!

b
brianholton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brianholton »

oops

I just checked the maker's website - the price has gone up: I paid less than 500 Euros last year.

b
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

My Zampogna is by Luigi Ricci also, I have to say, it is one of the few pipes which have ever played relatively in tune for me right out of the box.
Is your bordone E-Eb-D, or E-D?
I'm curious, also, is the bag gore-tex?
(Hope its not an innertube!-theyre the worst!)
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Lemme see if this works:
Interesting, isnt he?

Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Kintailpipes, is your double chantered set consisting of two equal chanters, or is it one of those on the lines of the Talbot MS? The kind that has the lower 4 fingerholes only for the right hand pipe? And is it a new one or a really old one?