Walsh Shuttlepipes question

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Flogging Jason
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Walsh Shuttlepipes question

Post by Flogging Jason »

I'm still learning(waiting on a new practice chanter reed since I damaged the old one) but I've got a question/need for confirmation. Here goes: The chanter on the pipes is so sharp that it reads almost Bb(should be A) on a tuner and I can't get it in tune with the drones. So here's what I did...I took some waxed thread and re-wrapped the reed to make it sit higher. Now, blowing directly on the reed with the right pressure brings it within 20cents of A @ A440. I havn't had a chance to mess with it much(my girlfriend is not a fan) but, I'm sure that the reed will not stay in place if I move the pipes around too much. So...I know I did the right thing in seating the reed higher...I just need some suggestions on how to keep it firmly in place.

Also:
I had the idea of getting a rubber washer and attaching it to the top of the chanter in order to deepen the reed channel and make it tighter to keep the reed sitting higher. Think it'll work?

Thanks in advance! And thanks to Joe and Dale for letting this forum happen....God bless one stop shopping!!! No I can satisfy my fetish for whistles, flutes, AND all manner of bagpipes on a single site!
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

Are you sure that it is the whole chanter that is out of tune with the drones, or could it possible be the reed/a-hole combination resulting in a Low A that reads significantly sharper? If it is the latter, you could try taping down the Low A tone hole as well as setting the reed higher in the seat. Of course, this may result in other notes being out of tune as well, so don't be surprised if many of them need tape.

Also, one possibility, if the whole chanter is blowing in Bb, are you sure you have an A chanter?
"Men are decieved if they think themselves free." - Benedict Spinoza

Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

It's an A set, I certain of that. I'm not even sure if Walsh makes Bb sets. Thanks for the tape idea though...I'll definitely try that if I still have tuning issues.
TheSpoonMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Did you try checking the other notes besides low A to the drones? That'd tell you if it's the A that's outta tune.
mike spencer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mike spencer »

i have a set of john walsh shuttles and i found that the reeds can be very delicate.if you cant get your chanter in tune without drastic modifications then you could phone john walsh himself and ask his advice.his phone number is on his web-site.
mike spencer
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

thanks mike!