plain Canmore smallpipe bag?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

plain Canmore smallpipe bag?

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've had my "miniature Highland pipes" (mouthblown, separate drones) tied into a plain (no grommets, no zip) Canmore bag for many years.

It's been entirely reliable...until I was piping at a Burns Supper a couple weeks ago and the pipes started losing air.

Afterwards I found that it wasn't a seam or a tie-in, but rather air coming right through the Gore-Tex fabric pretty much all over.

Checking the Canmore site, and various retailers, makes it appear that Canmore no longer makes plain bags like that. The all seem to have zippers now.

Does anyone know of another firm who makes Gore-Tex plain smallpipe bags?

Or failing that, plain hide smallpipe bags?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Re: plain Canmore smallpipe bag?

Post by Moof »

This might be a daft idea, but Goretex worn to keep water out needs reproofing. Might the same approach work with air?

The stuff used is basically very dilute PVA medium, which is either sprayed on or washed in and then heat activated in a dryer. It can be bought from any outdoor gear supplier.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I never heard of that, thanks!

I did find out through a retailer that Canmore can make a plain bag as a special order.

The one I have gave perfect service for around 20 years so I shouldn't be too surprised that it finally gave out.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Moof
Tell us something.: My motto: If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing badly. (Fortunately, as otherwise I'd never be allowed near a musical instrument.)

Post by Moof »

pancelticpiper wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:50 am I never heard of that, thanks!
Ahhhh ... you live in California. In Britain, anyone who has a dog, or likes hiking, or cycles to work, or goes bird watching is likely to get rained on enough to have reproof their Goretex. :lol:

Good to hear you can easily get a replacement, though.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Moof wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:25 am
Ahhhh ... you live in California. In Britain, anyone who has a dog, or likes hiking, or cycles to work, or goes bird watching is likely to get rained on enough to have reproof their Gore-Tex.
You're right, I've never owned anything made of Gore-Tex except for that pipe bag!

I do have a lightweight rain jacket which, incidentally, I've worn walking in Britain and Ireland, and even here in California on rare occasion.

We've just had one of our biggest storms, it dropped up to 12 inches of water in a 36 hour period, and many people lost cars and homes in debris slides. We just don't have the infrastructure to cope with that much water. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hISGGyfg7bI
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle