Bare aluminum MK Pro

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
D Mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Bare aluminum MK Pro

Post by D Mc »

Hi all! I thought I would share what I have done with my once flat black MK Pro. Though I loved how it looked it was giving me trouble because it was quite slippery in my hands. I have a polished aluminum Goldie so I knew things could be better.
I am pleased how it came out in both looks and improved grip and playing comfort.

David

P.S. I also ground off the V ridge from the underside of the mouthpiece and find that more comfortable too.

Well I guess I still need to figure out how to post pictures.
D Mc

Re: Bare aluminum MK Pro

Post by D Mc »

I put my pictures on photobucket but still can't get things to work. I have tried following the picture posting tutorial but must be missing something. I am doing this from an android so maybe that is my problem?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Simply post a link to your Photobucket page(s). Cheers. - Moderator
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

See my answer in the Test Forum.
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

http://s475.photobucket.com/user/DMcgli ... t=3&page=1 Thanks for all your help but I still can't seem to get the right options to come up for posting a picture. The best I can do for now is to link the album.
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

Riding a bike is easy once you learn how. Are you guys using an android when you do this? With no right click, just a press and hold, I am not seeing what has been described. Obviously I still have training wheels on this thing.
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

The link works.

From Photobucket you can also copy an "IMG" link from the "share links" menu in the lower left corner of every photo in your library, and paste in in your message here, then the photo will appear as part of the post, like this:

Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Ketil

Post by Ketil »

Ah!! FJ42!
And some pipes..
I used to own a 1982 model BJ42 a few years ago. Best truck made ever!
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

I wish Misha would make 'em this way. This looks fabulous and I'm sure is a lot less slippery. Can I hire you to polish mine?
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

Thank you, Derek. I know that many on this forum have some trouble with their hands, as do I. It is so much more enjoyable for me to play like this, but I feel even someone with good hands would appreciate the difference.
Derek Blackwell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Derek Blackwell »

Well my hands are in fine shape, but I've had to cover my MK in electrical tape to keep it from slipping. Even so it's not quite enough but allows me to play with more finesse. Overall the design is a triumph for playability, but I'm baffled about the slippery finish.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Here are your pictures. All you do to post them is to click on the "IMG" box on the lower right (it will turn yellow and say "copied") and then click "v" while holding down "ctrl" .

Beautiful job! I too wish that Misha offered them this way. I asked him, he said he had no plans to ever do it. For me it's a visual thing. I have no trouble holding MKs, though for sure the semi-gloss alloy finish like Overtons and Goldies have is easier to grip.

Hey, you can offer it as a postmarket service!

About that Toyota jeep, my dad had one from the 1960s that we used to drive out in the desert all the time, a very tough vehicle!
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
heyjude

Post by heyjude »

I use #14 O-rings from Lowes placed between the second and third and fifth and sixth holes on my MK. Keeps my thumb from slipping.

Jude
"Man cannot live on bread alone, he must have peanut butter" - Kruger Bear
D Mc

Post by D Mc »

Thank you for bringing up the pictures, Pancelticpiper. I am on an android with a touch screen so my keyboard options are limited and still a mystery to me.

Having played this whistle both ways, I too think Misha should offer a polished aluminum model. It does have a down side in that it is much more delicate and requires care in handling it to prevent scratching the surface. I believe that the improvement in play-ability is worth it.
This was a difficult project for me accomplish without ruining this lovely whistle so I don't see a sideline hobby coming from it. :)

David
Ocarolan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ocarolan »

D Mc wrote:Hi all! I thought I would share what I have done with my once flat black MK Pro. Though I loved how it looked it was giving me trouble because it was quite slippery in my hands. I have a polished aluminum Goldie so I knew things could be better.
I am pleased how it came out in both looks and improved grip and playing comfort.

David

P.S. I also ground off the V ridge from the underside of the mouthpiece and find that more comfortable too.

Well I guess I still need to figure out how to post pictures.
Very beautiful!!

Please, can you explain how you've done to polish the whistle?

Thanks