Border pipes taking a lot of air...

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
thePhotopiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a piper of 15 years. ~10 were Scottish, ~5 Irish. I currently run the Irish Pipers club in Seattle. I'm a regular at most of the local sessions, and run a beginners session at a local music school.

Border pipes taking a lot of air...

Post by thePhotopiper »

Hey folks.

Has anyone experienced their border pipes taking excessive air to keep steady? I got a set from Fred Morrison last month that I really have to flap away to keep going. I've checked for leaks and found none. The chanter itself takes a decent amount of air, but when I kick in the drones it's like trying to keep a siv full.

The sound is fantastic so I haven't messed with the reeds much... but is it normal for border pipes to take so much air? On the small pipes I can get through nearly a whole tune with just a couple pumps of the bellows. Border pipes, barely a bar.

Would a larger bellows be helpful? I've heard from some folks that my bellows (also freds, but came with the smallpipes) is a bit on the smaller side.

Any thoughts?
razzmaster
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Border pipes taking a lot of air...

Post by razzmaster »

They take more air than smallpipes, but leaking like a sieve? No, that's not normal. Plug everything up (drones, chanter stock), check for leaks.