Bellows upgrade for Walsh smallpipes

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
BigBpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have grown up surrounded by Irish music and culture and have played the whistle since first grade. I love playing the various instruments I have aquired over the years and would love to help others with their instruments in any way I can.

Bellows upgrade for Walsh smallpipes

Post by BigBpiper »

Hello to all those on C&F!
I semi-recently purchased the Walsh A/D combo kit and absolutely love them! I am, however, considering upgrading to bellows and I would really appreciate feedback from all of you. Let me note that I'm not trying to stir up a debate as to whether bellows-blown is better that mouthblown since I genuinely enjoy playing the mouthblown set. The main reason I'm asking is that I would really like to be able to sing while playing and bellows seems the rather obvious route to do so :D .

So, to phrase the question, do any of you have a set of Walsh smallpipes with a bellows setup? If so, what does the bellows setup consist of? I've heard mixed reviews about both the Walsh bellows and bellows adapter, so I'm not sure that's the way I would like to go, but I'm open to all feedback.

Finally, while I am more than willing to spend what is necessary to get a good quality setup, I would rather not have to spend much more than that. So I will be comparing the price tags between the different suggestions.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!
Cheers!
elbowmusic
Tell us something.: I'm back in the uilleann piping world after a ten year hiatus. Uilleann piping chops, here I come!

I'm a smallpipe and Border pipe maker and we'll just see where that leads to.

Re: Bellows upgrade for Walsh smallpipes

Post by elbowmusic »

Unless it's changed in the last couple years, It's pretty not great. If you want bellows, I'd recommend getting in touch with Kellehertrad.com They can supply you with a blow pipe and bellows that are great. You can tie in the blowpipe and use the bellows, and you can cork off the mouth blowpipe.
-Nate Banton-
Smallpipes and Border Pipes http://www.natebanton.com
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

I've had a set of Walsh small pipes in D that John set up to be mouth or bellows blown for several years.

The bellows plugs into its own stock, it doesn't use the "adapter" that fits into the blow stick stock.

Same plug closes off which ever stock is not in use. Works a treat.

I have a Dixon bellows so no experience with John's bellows however.

JD
psoutowood
Tell us something.: I am a longtime piper, and have added in the few years a bunch of Irish whistles and smallpipes to my collection. Looking for new instruments and like-minded people!

Post by psoutowood »

I converted a set of smallpipes to bellows and bought a bellow from Simon Hope. You really can't do better than what he makes, it was like squeezing a marshmallow, had plenty of draw, and was beautifully crafted. After you get used to bellows, if they are well-made and sized, you shouldn't notice them, just like a bicycle seat.

-Peter