Smallpipes Key Question

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
hawthorn1213
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in finding answers to whistle related questions I have. These questions are specifically related to whistle keys and specific makers/manufacturers.

Smallpipes Key Question

Post by hawthorn1213 »

Hey!

I have a pretty peculiar question I could really use some help on!

My new band primarily plays in the secondary and minor keys of an F whistle, Bb major and G minor. I have found that Bb smallpipes do not have the capability of playing the majority of the songs in these keys. In my mind, the best solution would be to find a chanter in F allowing me to play along with the tin whistle in the band.

That being said, does anyone have any suggestions or advice?
Are chanters available in F for smallpipes? (I have a set of John Walsh smallpipes)
Has anyone else ever run into this key issue before?

Thanks in advance!
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Smallpipes Key Question

Post by Peter Duggan »

hawthorn1213 wrote:Are chanters available in F for smallpipes?
I'd be very surprised because they'd probably be either unplayably large or unplayably small. Standard A chanters are enough of a stretch and G chanters (made by at least Lochalsh Pipes) even more. D chanters are tiny and, while there's some historical precedent for E (e.g. the Montgomery smallpipes), you'd have to be going either bigger or smaller yet to get F...

Re. suggestions/advice, does your band have compelling reasons for favouring these keys (e.g. other instruments, unusual repertoire and/or best vocal range)? If so, smallpipes may just not be the best fit, though you might look at something like the Lindsay System Chanter and work with the chromatic fingerings rather than 'native' chanter key(s)... except that you'd need to find a maker because Donald Lindsay himself's not going to be taking orders in the near future.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

Peter Duggan wrote: I'd be very surprised because they'd probably be either unplayably large or unplayably small.
Aren't Northumbrian pipes in F? Odd key for an SSP, I'll agree. Maybe a C Uilleann or pastoral chanter pipe would do.
hawthorn1213
Tell us something.: I am interested in finding answers to whistle related questions I have. These questions are specifically related to whistle keys and specific makers/manufacturers.

Post by hawthorn1213 »

Thanks for the response!

Vocal range is the biggest reason for playing in F.

I have thought of a northumbrian chanter, and would really like that option, but for the life of me can't find any makers or websites to contact. Are they espcially rare or something?
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

hawthorn1213 wrote:Thanks for the response!

Vocal range is the biggest reason for playing in F.

I have thought of a northumbrian chanter, and would really like that option, but for the life of me can't find any makers or websites to contact. Are they espcially rare or something?
Not remotely.

https://lmgtfy.com/?q=northumbrian+smallpipe+makers