Gaida questions.

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
pigwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Gaida questions.

Post by pigwhistle »

Hi Folks,
I'm trying to find information on the differences between Greek and Bulgarian Gaida. I'm told by a fellow forum member that the Greek gaidi possibly have a narrower bore than the Bulgarian Djura gaidi and I'm wondering if the bore may also be cylindrical as distinct from conical, or if there is some sort of difference in the reeds and/or reed material. I'm looking for a gaida that has a more mellow/softer tone and less volume than the Djura gaida, I'm particularly interested in the gaida music from the Evros region of Thrace. From recordings and video clips on youtube of the (predominantly) older/senior players it seems (to my ears at least) that there are these differences, but this could be due to the sound of old recordings and recording equipment. Also does anyone have any information about the Macedonian gaida as regards these differences in tone and volume. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.
David.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Gaida questions.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I would get hold of Hector Bezanis, who is a fantastic Gaida player and maker.

He spent many years playing Bulgarian Gaida but I understand that he's a fantastic Greek Gaida player too. He would know every difference between the structure, style, and music.

Here he is!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFXofoqarZs
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle