Peace Pipes!

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
olly498
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Peace Pipes!

Post by olly498 »

A piper in Scotland putting them to great use!
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvid ... tland.html
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Peace Pipes!

Post by Nanohedron »

Priceless. :)

But as far as the text at the very last goes, I must regretfully put on my pedant's hat: The word "desist" as I know it is used along much the same lines as the word "cease", rather than "stop". One does not desist (cease) someone; one desists in one's own actions, a frequent form being that one desists in, or from, doing something. Or you just simply desist, the something being already implied. So it would have been better to say that the police arrived presumably to get the fellow to desist (although from the writing it wasn't absolutely clear whether it was the preacher or the piper who was expected to quit what he was doing. :wink: ).

All right. Buzzkill over. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Well played, piper... well played.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Nanohedron wrote: One does not desist (cease) someone; one desists in one's own actions
True and interesting! Yes cease, desist, refrain, and abstain imply an action of the doer; constrain and impede are something done to the would-be doer. Stop goes either way, doesn't it?

Have you read The Stuff Of Thought? A fascinating book entirely about this sort of thing.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

pancelticpiper wrote:Have you read The Stuff Of Thought?
No, but now I might have to.

I will confess that I'm embarrassed I brought it up, being well aware of the difference between the letter and the spirit of a thing. But journalism is an area that I've always looked to as a reliable exemplar of informed usage. Guess I'm going to have to learn to get over that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician