Lithuanian Bagpipes?

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
sean an piobaire
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Lithuanian Bagpipes?

Post by sean an piobaire »

Dear Celt Pastor
Thank You for agreeing with me (every word !) it's very unusual for anybody here to do that.

Don't go Yuri !!! I agree with you about Accordions, Bouzoukis, Irish tunes played so fast
they loose the "NAA-AWS" ! Somehow the good stuff survives with many of the people
who go on playing their old tunes, regardless of the current fashions. Listening to the old field recordings
(Bartok, Kodaly etc.) inspire a small percentage of Musicians to reproduce the old Music,
so that listeners and dancers can relive & recreate "Those Feelings" every time they play, dance, or listen.
Now Then.............
Here's another video of a Dudamaisis Piper:
Title: "Albertas Bartasius Plays the Bagpipes"
There's a Dance Group doing a Circle Dance with this Man.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=6IjwCfxOWy4

There's several videos that "pop-up" along with this video, in the side bar.
There's a few views of Mister Tylos Labanoro, who must be one of the major
Bagpipe makers in Lithuania. He favors the 3 Drones in a Common Stock configuration.
Some of Mr. Labanoro's titles: "Kaunas Jazz" "Palanga" and so on.
One of the people uploading these videos is "muslimukas", with 7 videos posted.
My favorite is a Farm House gathering of the Dudamaisis Club:
"Antrasis susiputimas" CHECK IT OUT !!!
Sean Folsom
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Well, I gave up with bad grace my assigned spot in the carpark, and came back on a 1920-es vintage bonerattler pushbike (do you know why they are called pushbikes? that's because you push them most of the time, rather than ride them, that's why.) via the back door.
Just one comment, Albertas Bartasius sounds to me to be a Latvian, rather than Lithuanian name. I might be wrong, of course, it's just that back in the Neanderthal times when I was attending a university in the glorious USSR, it's Latvian blokes that had names invariably ending in -as-ses or us-ses. But I am happy to concede the point. The bagpipe looks very Belorussian to me, too.
Celtpastor

Post by Celtpastor »

...names ending in as-ses..? Well, ooookaaay... :D

However - since this type of Belarus Bagpipe is called "Lithuanian-type" by some, I guess, since they're in Belarus only about 500yrs or so, the're CLEARLY NOT TRADITIONAL! Or, Yury, what do You think..?
Oh - some argue as well, that Scottish pipes are NOT TRADITIONAL either, since they've come to Scotland only about 600yrs ago - and the Bards were awfully upset about them almost erasing their entire tradition of harp-music!

Three shouts from a Hill, if You know, what I mean... :wink:
Dilige et, quod vis, fac!
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

Yeah, well, tradition is something that needs time to get established. While 600 years is clearly enough to get a tradition going, the abovementioned synthesiser-driven Turkish "traditional" music is a bit on the fresh side. So is Bob Dylan. As far as my own views are concerned, the problem is not so much the new intruder instruments or styles, it's when old melodies, firmly embedded in local traditions, complete with performance practices, start being performed on completely unsuitable instruments/ completely unsuitable performance styles. You probably have come across first-half-of-20th-century editions of folk music, scored for piano (heavily hermonised) and voice. (In equal temperament, it goes without saying.While a lot of folk music is rather differently tempered, think of the neutral thirds for one thing, that are so much a feature of so much folk music.) Well, it is unsuitable, that's the only word for it. For that matter, Padre, have you not heard Gregorian chant with harmonised organ? It's ghastly, at least when you can compare it with the original. I myself love say, High Baroque, but what I like about it is among other things that it's always its own music. Not earlier music "baroque-ized". So why is it admissible in the case of other styles? Including "traditional" ones?