cases valves and things...

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
ChrisCracknell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

cases valves and things...

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Hello All,

3 questions:

I currently have a rectangular carrier for my GHB which is made of synthetic cloth of some kind, is about 15cm by 15cm by 60cm and has a single zip down the top. The pipes barely fit in this and it offers no real protection from anything other than dust. I want/need a better case. I'd like something that is rigid, light, has enough space to hold the pipes without any "shoehorning" and is relatively weatherproof. Extra pockets for sheet music and assorted maintenance supplies are not really necessary as I usually have another rucksack/shoulder bag with me containing these (and flutes). I am based in Germany, but could have stuff sent to my Mum's in Edinburgh if it is cheaper. (I have been shocked by one ebay offer of 70€ plus 35€ P&P!, so I am a bit wary of P&P on these.) I am looking for recommendations, both for cases and suppliers.

Secondly, has anyone got an opinion on "drone valves" sold for popping into the drone stocks? Some seem to make a point of regulating pressure, others seem to be more interested in controlling humidity. Do they work? Which ones would you take? I am using Ezeedrone synthetic drone reeds from pipe dreams. My pipes have a Bannatyne bag with zip, so installing these is not a problem. I currently have problems with at least one of the tenors squealing when I try to strike it in, though it settles down to stability after a "pinging".

Thirdly, does anyone have a reliable way of buying chanter reeds remotely? Or do you just have to buy a bunch and try them until you find one you like? (Yes, this is a pretty nooby question, but I haven't ever had to buy my own chanter reeds yet). I've been down the road of the Clanrye synthetic reeds and actually had the tips crack (on two of them) in not much longer than a cane reed would have lasted.

Thanks,

Chris.
MichaelLoos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Hi Chris,
pipe cases tend to be very expensive, but have a look at this: ebay # 1601 7708 3155.
If the price doesn't go up too far, buy it, remove the lining and glue in rubber foam instead. Also you can have a look at eBay: Musikinstrumente>Holzblasinstrumente>Zubehör, a case for alto sax will do, trumpet cases are too short, or search for "Aluminiumkoffer", or "Alukoffer". You will find that a case with something inside can be much cheaper than a case on its own.
It's always worth looking for cases at flea markets - you have plenty of them in Hamburg. Don't look at the display - look at what's behind and underneath the booths. I found a good few instrument cases there.
I have always had the suspicion that the main idea behind the drone valves is, to open the market for zipper bags....but I've never tried them, so I can't tell you.
As far as I know, Robbie Hughes guarantees the Clanryes for six months after purchase (at least, he used to), so I think you should get in touch with Hughes & McLeod for replacement.
Best wishes,
Michael
ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Saxophone cases is a very good suggestion - I will have a look there...

Unfortunately, the 6 months are more than over since the clanrye reeds were purchased.

Thanks.

Chris.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

MichaelLoos wrote:I have always had the suspicion that the main idea behind the drone valves is, to open the market for zipper bags....but I've never tried them, so I can't tell you.
While the drone valve and zipped bag are mutually beneficial, I think the vlaves were more of a response to the zipper bag market. The fact is that cut-offs on zipper bags are frequently dodgy because of either the lightness of the bag material or because of the drying system inside. I used Ash plugs with the Ross system some years ago and found it to be very reliable. No early squeals from the drones after the roll off and a light-switch cut-off.

For chanter reeds, unless you live near a reedmaker or bagpipe supplier, the best way to get suitable reeds is to buy several at a time. Most reedmakers or suppliers will let you return the unsuitable ones provided the reed is not altered (hemp untouched, no reaming or carving etc).

As for cases, in my locale two popular options are rolling luggage or camera/tool cases (see below).

ChrisCracknell

Post by ChrisCracknell »

I do indeed possess a case looking identical to the aluminium one you show, and the pipes will fit in it VERY tightly with the drone tuning slides all pushed right in. And it means all the drones and chanter are packed tightlyagainst one another which makes me nervous.

I'd rather have a bit more room though to allow easy stowing and deployment of the pipes. Preferrably without having to mess with the drone tuning slides any more than necesary. I will continue to look for saxophone cases as suggestred above, or aluminium case with a longer longest dimension (that seems to be the problem with most of them).

Also, maybe I'll give the ash plugs a try. They seem to be relatively cheap compared to some of the alternatives I've seen.

Thanks.

Chris.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

ChrisCracknell wrote:I do indeed possess a case looking identical to the aluminium one you show, and the pipes will fit in it VERY tightly with the drone tuning slides all pushed right in.
For these cases most users totally dismantle their drones (which you should do after playing anyways if you live in a wet climate). For chanters, especially an expensive wooden Sinclair, you'll want a pvc tube cut to size with caps on the ends. These cases usually come with a sheet of foam padding and combined with a couple bar or golf towels everything should be safe.

Stowing and removing your pipes is a bit of a procedure with these cases but when packed tightly it is very secure and the size is very travel friendly... depending on if you use a drying system.