How to leard to blow the bag

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
Glenarley
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: My family has been making pipes and reeds for over 25 years both Uillean and GHB. I am being asked to share pass on information on to other pipers in this open environment.

Re: How to leard to blow the bag

Post by Glenarley »

The Myth of Hard Chanter Reeds

As I supply custom set pressure, synthetic chanter reeds, the idea is to have a piper play with a reed that suits the pressure they are comfortable playing. Mostly mature aged pipers that can no longer muster the will or energy to play hard and sometimes temperamental cane chanter reeds.

When I get requests for harder chanter reeds I always ask why? I usually get some confusing reply like, “I always play a hard reed”. This doesn’t answer why? It also seems to me this piper does not have the skills or bag control to play a more moderate reed.

I recently spent some time with an old PM from the 60’s era (Jock, yes, that's his name) and after yapping for an hour or so I started to understand this hard reed philosophy. He went on to explain that as a PM, he wanted to avoid any of his pipers’ overblowing notes and autocranning (squeaking) as this could affect their judging results. The harder the reed, the harder to over blow the reed was the universal answer.

The down side of playing hard chanter reeds was the higher probability of chokes but as Jock stated, he would rather have a no sound than an unwanted sound (autocran), so the myth of the hard chanter reed was created.

The other unwanted down side of hard chanter reeds was the need to have drones that would not shut off when they had to be set to the same higher operating pressure to match the chanter reed. This gave us the options of a sporran hair under the drone reed blade or a bent paper clip up the reed to keep it from closing off. Both bad practices as they effected the sound by making the reeds more buzzy and less harmonic, effectively using a bodgie fix for a poor technique issue.

This issue was addressed when the synthetic drone reeds appeared on the scene as they could be made to operate at high pressures, something I have covered in an earlier post.

As I see it, based on what I have been told and observed, when PMs insist on hard chanter reeds, they are basically trying to take poor playing ability and bag control out of the equation. Using the reed to compensate for poor playing ability. Now you all know who you are.

Most half decent pipers that come to see me like to play moderate strength reeds and they have the ability to operate the bag at the appropriate pressure so over blowing is not an issue for them. Most of the older pipers that see me have been playing for many years and generally have developed good bag control technique and this is why they have no issue with playing softer reeds.

We call the softer reeds players reeds for a good reason.

The panacea for poor bag control should not be harder chanter reeds as the best answer is good technique and wood shedding.

Cheers

-G
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: How to leard to blow the bag

Post by pancelticpiper »

Glenarley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:06 am
...mature aged pipers that can no longer muster the will or energy to play hard cane chanter reeds.
When a Grade One Worlds-winning tonemeister/reedmaker was setting up our band he asked one of our older pipers "what strength do you blow?"

Our mature gent replied "I'm a musician, not an athlete."
Glenarley wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:06 am
...an old PM from the 1960’s stated that he would rather have no sound than an unwanted sound.

...when PMs insist on hard chanter reeds, they are basically trying to take poor playing ability and bag control out of the equation...
That's only the second time I've ever heard that philosophy stated. The first time was my old PM from the 1980s who said

"Hard reeds solve unsteady blowing: the reed's too hard for the pipers to overblow, and if they underblow the chanter just cuts out."

Personally my blowing is MORE steady on a reed that's a comfortable strength.

There's a magic middle ground, where the reed has a satisfying amount of backpressure and gives a full tone yet isn't too tiring to play.

It's a sad day when your perfect comfortable steady reliable reed has suddenly got thin and unsteady.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle