Emphasising the 1

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
sfmans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Emphasising the 1

Post by sfmans »

I'm looking to improve my playing of (Jonathan Swayne style single drone border) pipes for dancing. It's been said that the constant sound of the pipes don't give a sufficient emphasis on the 1, the first beat of the bar, to help the dancers keep in time and feel the beat.

Has anyone got any tips for emphasising that first beat of the bar? I obviously can't emphasise the 1 through a change of volume or timbre as I would on other wind instruments, so is there for instance a form of ornamentation I could use on the first note of the bar, or any other tips on that from pipers who play for dancing?

I should emphasise that this isn't a question about playing *in rhythm*, there's no issue around that - it's very much around the way that there isn't a strong natural 'push' or a 'lean' on the first beat of the bar to distinguish it from the other beats.

TIA
daveboling

Re: Emphasising the 1

Post by daveboling »

I don't know the variety of ornamentation used with that particular flavor of bagpipe, but a cut to a note more than a single scale step is the most basic way of emphasizing a note.

dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Emphasising the 1

Post by pancelticpiper »

In Highland piping, which has been used for dancing for centuries, emphasis is created by 2 methods

1) ornamentation

2) timing.

Ornamentation:

If you look at pretty much any piece of Highland pipe music there will be a "High G gracenote" (played with the upper-hand index finger) either on its own, or as the initial note of a "doubling", on nearly every "1".

This is the second-highest possible gracenote. The highest one, the "High A gracenote" (played with the upper thumb) is used instead of the High G gracenote in certain contexts.

But for whatever reason High G is the "default" gracenote on the Highland pipes, while the upper-thumb gracenote, the highest possible one, is the "default" gracenote on the Bulgarian pipes.

Oddly, the Highland pipes' more complex ornaments like the Taorluath don't usually fall on the "1".

Timing:

It's nearly universal for Highland pipers to think of the music in terms of phrases, generally 4 pulses long, but it depends on the genre of tune.

These phrases are made clear through timing, which entails slightly lengthening the "1" of each phrase and also slightly lengthening the last note of each phrase.

So each phrase, to put it crudely, goes "long short short long" (on a tune with four-pulse phrases). These note-lengthenings are quite subtle.

Obviously for dancing the major beats have to be consistent, it's the timing within the beats that makes the phrases.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle