It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 pm 

Anyone had experience with McCullum Acetyl GHP's? Would appreciate any feedback on your experience. Thank you, Don.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 am 

Hummmmm????? I was hoping for some feedback relative to persons who have purchased or have tried out the "plastic" pipes (Acetyl/Delrin, etc.), especially the newer models or pipes that are of fairly recent manufacture (within the past 2 or 3 years). I've heard that earlier manufactured pipes, made of Acetyl, may not have been so good as advances have been made recently. I was specifically interested in McCullum Pipes (as I feel they are very well made and a nice value), but would be interested in hearing your experience with other makes as well. I was looking at the Acetyl pipes as a second set of pipes that I can take out of doors in a variety of weather conditions without fear of damage due to heat in the summer months or, low moisture or cold conditions in the winter months. I live in an area that has temperature/humidity extremes; it's really hot and dry in the summer and cold and dry in the winter.

Perhaps I'm in the wrong forum to be asking such questions, it would seem so, based upon the lack of responses. Or, may be I've not been clear in my request, if so I apologize. Or, may be no one is interested in this topic, or for that matter cares? If so, would someone please re-direct me to a site(s)/forum(s) that might provide some information/feedback? Thank you. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:40 am 

http://forums.bobdunsire.com/forums/

Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:32 am 

Thanks oleorezinator, I appreciate your feedback. Looks like a good place to pose my question.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:52 pm 

You probably mean McCallum?

They're relative newcomers to the poly pipemaking scene, but Dunbar (in Canada) has been making poly pipes for, what, 30 years or so.

Dunbars are fine pipes, very well made, and sound and perform in a similar way to vintage Hendersons etc.

I owned at the same time, several years ago, two sets of Dunbars in African Blackwood and one set of Dunbars in polypenco/Delrin. (All since have been sold. I'm only playing vintage pipes now.)

My impressions were that poly and ABW perform and sound the same.

One thing: I got much more moisture condensation in the bores and on the reeds of the poly pipes. I would probably need to use an MCS if I were to do my playing on poly pipes, perhaps the full Ross canister system.

I've not played a poly McCallum set but I've done quite a bit of playing on ABW McCallum pipes and they're good pipes. The best testimony is that you'll see McCallums being played in various Grade One circles at the Worlds every year. Obviously they must have a great sound and be extremely reliable to be carried into the highly competitive Grade One circles.

Due to my personal experiences if I had to get a poly set it would be a Dunbar.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:46 pm 

Thanks Richard for your post. Yes, you are correct, I did mean McCallum Pipes. I ordered and recently received a set of McCallum AP4 pipes and I'm well pleased with the purchase. Took a while to get here, but was worth the wait. I ordered all of the "extras" a lot of bling, but I like the bling. I needed a set of pipes that I was not afraid of taking out in fairly harsh weather conditions. Where I live, the summers are hot and dry and the winters are cold and dry. The McCallum's are made of Acetyl, similar to, but different than Delrin, but they suit my purpose. Also got the Canmore Hybrid bag which is really nice and helps with moisture control. Also added a moisture control system in the bag. Really a nice set of pipes, they sound great, look great, very well made; I couldn't be happier!!!

I currently own a set of Dunbars made of African Black wood, love those pipes as well. I think you are correct, about the sound being the same. A lot has been made of plastic vs. wood, however, the material I've read and the many people whom I've spoken with have basically said that there isn't a discernible difference between the sound produced by the two materials as far as the human ear is concerned. Especially is that true of pipes made by the same manufacture and set up in the same way (based upon what I have read). When I look at the Black wood drones and the Acetyl drones side by side, it is very difficult for me to see any difference visually between the two. Some have said that the Black Acetyl has a gray tint to it, but I don't see it. For me it's a mute point, if I had wanted Black wood, I would have ordered it.

I appreciate your comments, thanks. I went to another forum for this particular post and was rewarded with a great deal of good feedback, suggestions and knowledge--all very helpful.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:02 pm 

You're welcome! Glad you have the McCallums going well, and especially glad you have some African Blackwood Dunbars. Around here few people even know that Dunbar makes anything other than poly pipes.

Personally I'm through with new pipes and through with bling. I've been doing this over 40 years and my attitude about pipes is different now.

Give me plain beat-up old pipes that play great!

I'm playing these 1945 Starcks that sound amazing. I paid less than $700 for them.

And I recently got these pipes, probably also from the 1940s, for $800. They're wonderful. The day I got them I popped in some reeds and BOOM!
The next day I was playing them in the band.
(Some people think they're Lawries, some think they're Hendersons. Who can say.)
IMHO vintage pipes just work better than modern pipes, in general.

Goldie Low D whistle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:40 am 

Hi Richard: thank you for the pictures, really nice looking pipes. Wouldn't it be interesting to know some of the history behind the two sets that you own, perhaps you do? Previous owners obviously took good care of them in order for them to have survived for 70+ years. My Dunbar's are very plain and simple as are my other set of ebony pipes. The Dunbar's are my favorite, they have a wonderful sound, the person who turned those drones and stocks knew his business in my humble opinion. After all, isn't the play-ability and sound that we are all seeking, I know that's been my goal?

My point, and I think you may agree, is that some instruments are made to last over time by makers who knew what they were doing and were invested in producing a fine/quality instrument. It is always a honor to come across such an instrument and be privileged enough to play it and possess it for a time.