It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Hide bag????
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:05 pm 

Ok...love my Walsh small pipes in D, bellows and mouth blown options, but am considering converting to a hide bag.

I've never been a Canmore/synthetic bag fan, just don't like to "wimpy" feeling of the things, although I used a hybrid bag on my GHB and liked it just fine.

Anyone made the switch from a synthetic to a hide bag? Any suggestions? Pros and cons? Tips on tying in or best to send to the maker and have them do it? I've had great luck with L&M bags over the years, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

Piperjoe

Post subject: Re: Hide bag????
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:08 pm 

It's odd that I like Gore-Tex bags on smallpipes just fine, but I don't care for them much on the fullsize Highland pipes.

I did play a Ross Gore-Tex bag on my Highland pipes for a couple years, and I got used to it, but I get a much better feel out of my Gannaway hide bag and Begg sheepskin bag on my two sets of Highland pipes.

L&M hasn't made bags for years AFAIK. I suppose you might find an un-cut used one somewhere, old L&M bags do come up for sale once in a while.

Michael MacHarg used to make bags nearly identical to the old L&M "elkhide" (chrome tanned cowhide) bags, you can contact him and see.

Goldie Low D whistle

Post subject: Re: Hide bag????
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:32 pm 

pancelticpiper wrote:
It's odd that I like Gore-Tex bags on smallpipes just fine, but I don't care for them much on the fullsize Highland pipes.

I did play a Ross Gore-Tex bag on my Highland pipes for a couple years, and I got used to it, but I get a much better feel out of my Gannaway hide bag and Begg sheepskin bag on my two sets of Highland pipes.

L&M hasn't made bags for years AFAIK. I suppose you might find an un-cut used one somewhere, old L&M bags do come up for sale once in a while.

Michael MacHarg used to make bags nearly identical to the old L&M "elkhide" (chrome tanned cowhide) bags, you can contact him and see.

Thanks PCP, didn't realize that L&M wasn't making bags anymore. They lasted so long I guess they quality controlled themselves right out of business.

I had a set of MacHarg small pipes years ago, should never have gotten rid of them as far as that goes, and I should have thought of him right off.

Piperjoe