Hide bag????

The Wonderful World of ... Other Bagpipes. All the surly with none of the regs!
jadphoto
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Hide bag????

Post by jadphoto »

Ok...love my Walsh small pipes in D, bellows and mouth blown options, but am considering converting to a hide bag.

I've never been a Canmore/synthetic bag fan, just don't like to "wimpy" feeling of the things, although I used a hybrid bag on my GHB and liked it just fine.

Anyone made the switch from a synthetic to a hide bag? Any suggestions? Pros and cons? Tips on tying in or best to send to the maker and have them do it? I've had great luck with L&M bags over the years, but am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance...

Piperjoe
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Hide bag????

Post by pancelticpiper »

It's odd that I like Gore-Tex bags on smallpipes just fine, but I don't care for them much on the fullsize Highland pipes.

I did play a Ross Gore-Tex bag on my Highland pipes for a couple years, and I got used to it, but I get a much better feel out of my Gannaway hide bag and Begg sheepskin bag on my two sets of Highland pipes.

L&M hasn't made bags for years AFAIK. I suppose you might find an un-cut used one somewhere, old L&M bags do come up for sale once in a while.

Michael MacHarg used to make bags nearly identical to the old L&M "elkhide" (chrome tanned cowhide) bags, you can contact him and see.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
jadphoto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by jadphoto »

pancelticpiper wrote:It's odd that I like Gore-Tex bags on smallpipes just fine, but I don't care for them much on the fullsize Highland pipes.

I did play a Ross Gore-Tex bag on my Highland pipes for a couple years, and I got used to it, but I get a much better feel out of my Gannaway hide bag and Begg sheepskin bag on my two sets of Highland pipes.

L&M hasn't made bags for years AFAIK. I suppose you might find an un-cut used one somewhere, old L&M bags do come up for sale once in a while.

Michael MacHarg used to make bags nearly identical to the old L&M "elkhide" (chrome tanned cowhide) bags, you can contact him and see.
Thanks PCP, didn't realize that L&M wasn't making bags anymore. They lasted so long I guess they quality controlled themselves right out of business.

I had a set of MacHarg small pipes years ago, should never have gotten rid of them as far as that goes, and I should have thought of him right off.

Piperjoe
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

OK...sent the pipes (Walsh blackwood small pipes in D) to Lynn Miller at the House of Bagpipes. A week later they're on their way back to me with a Jimmy (?) Beg hide bag tied in and ready to go.

I'll keep you posted! :thumbsup:

Piperjoe
piperjoe

Post by piperjoe »

With a couple of hours of experience I'm definitely happy with the conversion to the hide bag.

Feels better under the arm, seemingly easier to get a stable tone/pressure and the drones don't "bob" around as they did with the Canmore bag.

The Beag bag is a lovely blue, might have to take the bag cover off altogether and looks like it'll last a lifetime.

Worth every bit of the cost...thanks to Lynn Miller (House of Bagpipes, San Francisco, CA) for a great job and the fast turn around. Brilliant! :thumbsup:

Piperjoe