What instrument is this?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: What instrument is this?

Post by benhall.1 »

I played Image for a while for Sikh religious services in Cardiff about 30 years ago.

The thing I played is known as a waja.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Traditional foot pedal harmoniums (or reed organs) are rather unpopular and therefore easy to acquire, if you're interested and have the space.

I was given a beautiful old Estey Reed Organ by an acquaintance who'd also got it as a freebie. It's fun, and you get a workout while you play... In the US, harmoniums were often used in the out-of-the-way churches. The old ones are not useful for communal playing though; mine's tuned to 430hz.

Kypfer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Kypfer »

... just found this thread ...

There was a pedal harmonium at the chapel the family used for christenings etc. when I was a lad. I don't remember the occaision, but I do remember my cousin sweating profusely, pedalling like crazy to keep up with the leaking bellows whilst still managing a presentable performance of whichever hymn was being played :)
"I'm playing all the right notes—but not necessarily in the right order."
bderusha
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am am traditional irish flute and whistle player looking to chat with like-minded musicians. I'm relatively new to the music still trying to find a good fit and my own style.

Post by bderusha »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

New England based group The Press Gang use a harmonium on a few tracks in their latest album. Here's a good clip from a house concert https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk7K6H10atc
walrii

Post by walrii »

I know nothing about harmoniums except what I’ve read in this thread. If eBay is any guide, harmoniums seem to be on the upswing. There are pages and pages of new harmoniums on eBay, most in the $300-$500 range and tuned A=440. I have no idea what the quality is.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.