Looking for a very quiet button accordion

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Looking for a very quiet button accordion

Post by lixnaw »

It would be handy in our apartment. or a button accordion that can be played
very quiet when needed. I'm not interested in midi accordions.
Which make should i go for ?
sfmans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been a whistle player for over 40 years now, which is a sobering thought. I got started on a battered old Generation D and, well, just never stopped really!

Current gigs are The Powderkegs border morris, the concert band Trebuchet with our music theatre show The Mill Ballads www.themillballads.com, and Welsh dance band Caffl.

Re: Looking for a very quiet button accordion

Post by sfmans »

lixnaw wrote:It would be handy in our apartment. or a button accordion that can be played
very quiet when needed. I'm not interested in midi accordions.
Which make should i go for ?
No idea on makes, but a decent repairer (like you're seeking in your other current thread) might be able to fit some baffles or dampers into an existing accordion. Probably worth having the conversation with one to look at one of your existing boxes before you go buying a box specifically because it's quiet ...
Flexismart
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Post by Flexismart »

Something like this?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

lixnaw wrote:Which make should i go for ?
That's probably the wrong question. :wink:

Don't know what you play now. But a single-reed box - or one where the multiple reed banks can be switched on/off - is going to be (or seem) quieter than than a multi-reed box. A number of makers offer single-reed models, or you can modify an existing box.

But I like sfman's suggestion, and it's even easier than that. Why not start by just taping a towel or cardboard or some other improvised baffle over the grille? Instant box mute! And that might be enough. I do this sometimes on my big Saltarelle box, and it works very well. There's a slight effect on air flow, but not enough to bother me in practice mode.

If it works, you could make it more "permanent" by taping your baffle behind the grille, choosing something that won't interfere with the valves.

Yes, my Roland FR-18 can allow for completely silent practice with headphones. It's an amazing machine, with its own tone generation as well as MIDI. But it's also big and bulky and way overkill for just a practice box.

Good luck!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
lixnaw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by lixnaw »

Many thanks for the tip!! I'll give it a try :)