Need Some Suggestions for Starting Out on a Concertina

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
psychodonald
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Need Some Suggestions for Starting Out on a Concertina

Post by psychodonald »

Hi: I'm not new to Chiff and Fipple; however, I'm new to the Free Reed Forum. I play Irish Flutes and Bagpipes, but I'm intersted in learning how to play the concertina and would welcome any suggestions. I know very, very little. My interest is mainly Irish Trad. music. About all I know, at this point in time, is that there are two types of concertina's, so you see, my lack of knowledge runs deep. I don't even know what type would be best for ITM? I do read music fairly well. Feel free to make suggestions as to various makes, number of buttons, etc... So, there it is. Thanking all in advance for any ideas, opinions, and suggestions. Don.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Need Some Suggestions for Starting Out on a Concertina

Post by eskin »

You might have better luck looking over at concertina.net:

http://www.concertina.net

and specifically, their forums:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/
maestrosid

Post by maestrosid »

I haven't a clue about concertinas, but I do play mandolin and just started with flute. One of the standby shops in the mandolin world is Fiddler's Green in Austin, Texas. They do ITM classes on mandolin, and literally just started offering a starter package for concertina. http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com/c ... anglo.html
No idea about the instrument, but I can recommend the store.
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Post by psychodonald »

Well, thank you for the suggestions. Eskin, I took your advice and you're right, I did have better luck. In fact, I'm giving some strong thought to ordering a new Rochelle Anglo based upon the information found on concertina.net. and some other places. Frankly, I don't think I can go too far wrong, especially after reading some reviews and the price is right. Thanks again to the two brave souls who provided some thought to my question.