Rivoli piano accordian?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Gordon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Rivoli piano accordian?

Post by Gordon »

Hey - A neighbor just gave me a Rivoli piano accordian - I'm a flute player, mostly, so this is slightly out of my territory. Seems to work okay, although it's very musty/mildewy, and not that I have the slightest idea how to play an accordian, 'cept in theory. Any information about this make, piano monstrosities, or any tips on how to get started on it will be greatly appreciated. My son's a piano player, so he seems excited by the prospect, anyway.
Thanks.
Anyanka

Re: Rivoli piano accordian?

Post by Anyanka »

Hi Gordon
had a quick look on THE list http://www.accordionlinks.com/manufacturer.html - it looks like Rivoli was both the name of a Sonola model, and an American accordion manufacturer. Sonola is Italian, one of the well-known ones; Rivoli isn't. :wink: If it's old & musty then it may well be out of tune, or leaking air which will make it unattractive to play.

There are loads of instruction videos on YouTube which will take you through the beginning steps of playing accordion. I found them too slow & boring, and preferred using teach-yourself books. Karen Tweed has just published a new one, which is probably excellent (haven't bought it as I'm past that Abs Beg stage now).

http://www.karentweed.com/CDs.htm for details of the tutorial book & CD deal.

The accordion is an amazing instrument, capable of a huge range of expression & passion in the right hands. Unfortunately, it has also been used to perpetrate crimes masquerading as music...

For examples of great, passionate, expressive playing, check out music by Karen Tweed, Groanbox, LAU or Maria Kalaniemi.
Gordon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Rivoli piano accordian?

Post by Gordon »

Thanks Anyanka -

The Rivoli (Special) I was given says made in Italy, and is a Sonola (checked it out more thoroughly after your post), but as far as the musty smell and length of time it was stored badly, I suspect you're right about it's sound being compromised.

Not sure how much I want to learn accordion - most of the accordion players I've admired have been strictly ITM, such as Joe Burke, and (usually) on button accordians, and - as I said - I'm mostly a flute player (and guitarist). I did play with a piano accordionist back in NYC - overpoweringly loud, but he was good. My son may make a go of it, but I suspect this particular instrument will need some overhauling, which may or may not be worth the cost.

Thanks for your help, and the link!
Gordon