concertina in old ad

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

concertina in old ad

Post by mutepointe »

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: concertina in old ad

Post by MTGuru »

How funny. My dad smoked Old Gold. And that concertina is almost upside-down. :)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Ptarmigan

Post by Ptarmigan »

MTGuru wrote:How funny. My dad smoked Old Gold. And that concertina is almost upside-down. :)
... which makes you wonder, just what exactly was in those cigarettes! :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ptarmigan wrote:
MTGuru wrote:How funny. My dad smoked Old Gold. And that concertina is almost upside-down. :)
... which makes you wonder, just what exactly was in those cigarettes! :wink:
I'd guess one thing that was in those cigarettes was yet another artist who probably only ever played the radio, and was left to his own smoke-woozy devices. Which suggestion of funny combustibles does sort of bring us to the word "treatment", BTW. I look at it and want to call Mom and ask her if she knows what kind of slang that might be, because while it was never in use like that in my home, she knows things.

I must point out the offending cigarette: it is perched in a pure marvel of impossible balance - note its fulcrum-point - upon the fine edge of what I'm pretty sure is a Japanese sakazuki. I have no problem with the ceremonial wine-cup; it's a shot of well-lent elegance-in-repurposing, and its color works in composition. But no known cigarette in this particular universe would stay put like that. And so in addition to concertina we have, all around, a subliminal suggestion that the product exceeds the mundane.

The random match is really only for the sake of composition, but the word "only" belies its simple brilliance. Without it, the tableau would lack much...nay, everything, such is the weight of one simple match. But its semiotics are either pedestrian, or a stretch, and I would probably need some wacky myself to even go there.

I am such a product of my present times that I unconsciously assumed I was looking as a Surgeon General's Warning at bottom right.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Isn't it about time someone identifies the concertina?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

mutepointe wrote:Isn't it about time someone identifies the concertina?
I'd guess an older standard hexagonal Wheatstone English treble 48-button. It looks much like my former 1856 Wheatstone, but with bone buttons and plain bellows. Hard to tell if that's a SN plate on the left end. These would have been pawn shop fare for the photog at the time of the ad (50s-60s), before the concertina market went nuts in the 80s.

I think English Concertina identification is not as much a blood sport as with other instruments. There were basically 2 main makers, Wheatstone and Lachenal, and they were very similar and comparable. Except for the "my concertina has more sides than yours" war between them in the high end models. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.