List of players using different tunings

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

List of players using different tunings

Post by pipersgrip »

Does anyone know if there is a list of players that use the C#/D tuning and the B/C tuning, just to get the feel of what the difference is?
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: List of players using different tunings

Post by StevieJ »

http://irishbox.blogspot.com/

A few errors and oversimplifications in the attribution of the musicians' primary system, but mostly accurate.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks StevieJ.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
ceemonster

Post by ceemonster »

the disclaimer being that when you look at that list, it's not the end of the story, because the difference in the boxes isn't really their [i]tunings[/i], since both boxes have identical capacity to play with the "back-and-forth" pumping bellows phrasing often called "c#/d," and identical capacity to play with the "smooth, flowing" phrasing often called "b/c." all that differs is [i]which[/i]
keys finger so as to give you which style sound, on which box. the c#/d-er only has the so-called "c#/d" sound if playing on his D row in D, G, A, and their relative minors.....

and when the b/c players on that list are playing tracks in the flat keys that fall "on the row" of a b/c (C, F, and their relative minors)....then they sound "back-and-forth," in the style stereotyped inaccurately as "c#/d."
like, the gorgeous cd "solo run" by ennis box player johnnny mccarthy, or peter carberry's box cds, solo and with his family.

if you're the person who has been asking about this on the yellow site, sorry for the repeat info....
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks for that info!

Anyone know what type Joe Madden played?
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

pipersgrip wrote:Anyone know what type Joe Madden played?
In this clip ( http://youtu.be/VFSa_ipMNr8 ), the first tune is in G (The Caucus Reel, composed by my friend Jean Duval). You'll see that every time Joe M hits the note G, he's pushing. Ergo he's playing a B/C.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Awesome, thanks Stevie J!