getting rid cigarette smell from bellows

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
chansherly212
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

getting rid cigarette smell from bellows

Post by chansherly212 »

i played at a pub this st paddy's, and just a couple of people in front were smoking, and i come back and find that my bag smells, my clothes smell, my flute smells, and my concertina as well, ugh, whenever i draw the bellows, i get a whiff of the thing. i've no problem getting rid of the smell of my other items, since i can wash them, but not a good idea at all to wet the bellows on my rochelle which is made of cardboard, any advice?
benhall.1
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Re: getting rid cigarette smell from bellows

Post by benhall.1 »

It's not so much of a problem any more here in the UK, thank goodness, what with the smoking ban in pubs 'n' all. Used to be, though. I used to find that instruments stank for a day or two after, but, if I left them out of the case, and with the case left open as well - it went after a day or two. You could try combining that with burning a scented candle or two near the thing. There are some you can get over here that claim to be deodorising, which might help.
Don Roberts

Post by Don Roberts »

I agree, so long as you haven't had repeated exposure to smoke, you should be able to rid the box of odor by just playing a few times in a clean air enviornment and leaving it out of the case with the case open as well.
good luck
America Dammit
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

A couple of years ago, I was given a Bhastari concertina that must have lived it's life on the shelf of the world's greatest smoker. The only reason that the person I knew even had this instrument was that they collected brass and the corner brackets were so yellowed with nicotine they looked like brass. You would not believe the nicotine build up. The dust build up (between the bellow ridges) looked like felt. The smoke smell was way too much.

Short story. I used Febreeze. No harm was done. I didn't scrub the bellows or anything. I just sprayed. This concertina took multiple treatment and a serious airing out.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I just wish Febreeze were available in an unscented variety. The base odor neutralizer ingredient does work and is available in commercial form, but not in a consumer product that I know of. As it is, the Febreeze perfumed scents may be worse than the stink you're trying to get rid of. I have a formerly mildewed concertina that now smells vaguely of French vanilla.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:I just wish Febreeze were available in an unscented variety.
Actually, it is "available" (or it used to be, for all appearances), but it's hard as hell to get ahold of. There's precious little of it ever gets stocked, somebody snaps it up straightaway, and the rest of what's available in its monumental prevalence supposedly suggests that I must be an eccentric because I don't want my stuff to smell like a whore. Grrrr. :swear:

There are products other than Febreeze that offer unscented, too, but offhand I can't recall which ones. Oh, yeah: Oust has (or had, as the case may be) an unscented product. I'm always looking for them, usually unsuccessfully.

There's a product (probably the same one basically as what's in those mentioned above) that's used in the mortuary industry. Completely odorless, and it does a remarkable job at getting rid of unwanted smells. It doesn't mask them. If you can get it, that's the way I'd go. You'd probably have to buy it in gallon quantities, though; but all you'd need is a spray bottle, and you'd be set for a good while. I used it for sprucing up used cars (smoky-smelling ones in particular) in the auto repair shop I used to work at, and I swear by it. Those babies came out smelling fresh indeed, and I don't mean a pine or lemon or any other scent: just the car - no perfume, no smoke, nuthin' but pure clean. It never ceased to amaze me. Plus, it's as neutral as water on the things it touches, and it doesn't irritate skin, eyes, or lungs. How can you beat that?

It'd probably get rid of that vanilla stink in your 'tina. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Aha. Looks like this is probably the same product but without the awkward funerary associations: http://www.nogc.com/naturesair.php
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ducks
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by ducks »

would it be feasible to use bicarb? It works on many weird odours.

(sorry, I'm only lurking here due to a harmonica-playing daughter. I know it's an old thread, but I'm weirdly fascinated by smell-removal.)
sophie
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

ducks wrote:would it be feasible to use bicarb? It works on many weird odours.
I believe it does, although I've never actually used it for this myself. Baking soda / bicarb it is.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

The worry that I would have with baking soda is if a person was going to shake it all over the concertina. Then vacuuming or blowing away every little bit from every nook and cranny would end up being a problem too. That's just a guess on my part.

I never clean my car and I once shook a whole giant box of baking soda all over the inside. The smell was gone but the white powder looked like my car had a 70's disco party. Getting all of it out didn't happen. It's like that tinself that you find all year after Christmas is long gone.
白飞梦
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

[ Thread revival ]

Bicarb didn't work well for me. Becky Deryckx from WA state send me some cedar sachets that seemed to help. I put one inside the bellows and put the concertina back in the box with two more sachets packed around it. I also left the instrument open and out of the case. I think the odor has to be tolerated. Over the course of a couple of months the odor will dissipate.
I never, ever, let a smoker try one of my flutes!
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Sunshine and charcoal are two other options. Small boxes of charcoal can be had in aquarium pet stores. Making a sachet would solve getting rid of charcoal dust.
白飞梦