buying an accordion advice

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
eubiedubie
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

buying an accordion advice

Post by eubiedubie »

A local music store has a piano accordion for sale for $150.The name on the box is LIBA.Any advice on what to look for I would appreciated?
Don Roberts
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: buying an accordion advice

Post by Don Roberts »

are you sure its not spelled "LIRA" ? If so it should have a model # stamped on the back such as Model 20 or Model 27 etc. etc.
If you aren't familiar with what to look for in an accordion, it's best to locate someone that can make a fair judgement for you before you purchase. $150 is a reasonable price depending on the model, cosmetic and internal condition.
Good Luck
America Dammit
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

Do you play accordion at all? If so, try out the one in the shop. Check for sticky keys, non-responsive reeds (remember to check each key on push & pull), leaky bellows. Listen to the sound: do you like it? If you don't like it, you won't want to play it.
If you don't play, get a player to check the box out for you.

I would suspect that the accordion is cheap because it needs repairs, which can get very expensive unless you can do it yourself. Any idea how old? Pre-war boxes are usually not worth having. Have a look at the excellent Allodi website for more advice. http://www.accordions.co.uk/

re the make: never heard of it. However, I found a website that lists a number of LIRA acc's http://www.castiglioneaccordions.com/us ... accordions. Prices, if consistent, are often a reasonable guide to quality.
eubiedubie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by eubiedubie »

Thanks the information is very helpful.It is a Lira Model 20, no sticky keys,It's in a store that sells mainly guitars and string instruments. I'm trying now to find some who plays to check it out.