B/C box players + recordings

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

B/C box players + recordings

Post by Gabriel »

Hi fellow free-reeders,
is there a list of B/C tuning box players accessible somewhere? I find it difficult to find information on what the boxing celebrities are playing, and I'm too novice to hear what it is...I know that Josephine Marsh at least used to play on a B/C Hohner, but also read that she thought of switching to C#/D, but not if she did it or not...
Thanks for all replies!
Cheers,
Gabriel
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: B/C box players + recordings

Post by StevieJ »

Try this list: http://irishbox.blogspot.com/

Josephine Marsh, as far as I know, does play a B/C box, but for many tunes she uses C#/D fingering, meaning that her tunes come out in unusual keys (a tone below).

This happens with lots of box players btw - for playing solo, they may borrow the fingering that best suits the tune from the other camp.

Examples: Sharon Shannon plays some tunes on a C#/D using B/C fingering, which is why her Holly Bush comes out in E major.

There's a clip on YouTube of Dermot Byrne playing Bunker Hill in B major - using A major fingering on a C#/D box.

Joe Burke recorded Bonnie Kate in C, and Billy McComiskey did the same with Humours of Tulla - i.e. using C#/D fingering.

Damien Connolly's CD is played on a B/C box but with a good proportion of the tunes played C#/D style.

B/C players tend to play tunes like Sporting Nell and New-Mown Meadow in D, whereas C#/D players will favour them in E. Same fingering, really suits each box.