For Sale: Lachenal 31 button C/G Anglo Concertina

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Julia Delaney
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

For Sale: Lachenal 31 button C/G Anglo Concertina

Post by Julia Delaney »

I am selling a very good Lachenal 31 button C/G Anglo concertina with ornate wooden ends. It plays beautifully and is in very good condition. The bellows are solid, very clean, both on top and underneath (where it rests on the leg). The reeds are perfectly tuned and the old clacky buttons have been replaced with new metal ones, as pictured. The holes have been bushed The buttons work smoothly and precisely, without the wiggle and noise associated with old bone buttons in unbushed holes. It has not been played very much. It is a very solid instrument with good volume, a bright sound and quick action.

The serial number is 145354. Steel reeds in brass shoes. There is no corrosion on the reeds and the reed pans are in excellent condition. The serial number would date the concertina somewhere around 1910 I would guess. I'll be happy to send more pictures and perhaps play it for you on Skype. It is very playable and sounds and responds better than the hybrid concertinas that I have played.

According to Chris Algar “The favourite Lachenal 30 key rosewood would begin at £1,800 (most would be £2,000+) depending on quality. In the £2000 - £3000 range you would have the better rosewood Lachenals.” I have seen these for sale at Custy's, in Ennis, for around €3,000.

This is is an example of “the better rosewood Lachenal,” in excellent condition, that Algar refers to. I am selling it for €2,200, which is significantly below the Barleycorn estimate of value. The dollar equivalent is $2,800 and the sterling would be £1,800. Shipping would be extra but it isn't very heavy and I would help avoid excessive tax or import duty. Unfortunately the old wooden case got left behind. It would come in a cloth gig bag.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale