Breathing problem while playing ?!?!

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Breathing problem while playing ?!?!

Post by Nanohedron »

I know an Anglo buttonbox player who started out on harmonica. Last I heard, he still breathes in tandem with his box as if he's huffing on his gob iron.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

We don't huff. Have you got an hour?
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Chugging, then? I was thinking of this technique: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0J6lIC ... re=related (beginning @ 0:30). But damn me if I can figure out which one of 'em has the mad skillz that makes that piano-y sound.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
buttonbox
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by buttonbox »

Nanohedron wrote:I know an Anglo buttonbox player who started out on harmonica. Last I heard, he still breathes in tandem with his box as if he's huffing on his gob iron.
Hmm. I can only imagine that you might be referring to a local C#/D box player, not an Anglo concertina player. :wink: After nearly 12 years of playing I've finally gotten to the point where someone who might be watching me play doesn't really notice the breathing. The very real issue that I face is trying to call out a tune name, key, or just "hup!": I either have to stop playing in the middle of the tune, or wait until I hit a run of notes with the bellows going in either direction so as to make that call. Oddly, when I play guitar I can sing at the same time, but when playing the box I'm lucky to so much as grunt.