Had a nightmare about harmonica...

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Had a nightmare about harmonica...

Post by Azalin »

Well, I'm still waiting for my first harmonica ever to arrive by mail. There's one night during the week, I strangely had a bunch of 'light' nightmares, I guess I must have been anxious that day. One of the nightmares had to do with me trying out my future harmonica. Well, I was trying to play a single note, but because I could not manage to focus my air stream, I was hitting two notes at the same time, all the time :-( I hope in real life I won't have such a hard time!
Whistling Archer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Had a nightmare about harmonica...

Post by Whistling Archer »

when you get it, try tongue blocking & puckering. I tb, but puckering works better for some.
To me it is easier to get a single note TBing. you willjust kinda be playing out of the right side , using tongue at left to close holes. When I tried puckering my mouth got tired of clenching it. Granted I may have been over doing it.

there is NO way that you will not learn . Your even dreaming about it. You will be da man!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/sjeter61
My tunes , if you're interested
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

What kind of harmonica are you getting by mail? Don't you have any local music stores? Even Wal-Mart sell them in the Toy section and Cracker Barrell restaurants sell them for $5 near the cash register.

Sometimes you want to play two notes at once. What made you decide to play the harmonica? Do you play other instruments?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wow Mute, so many questions, so little time in this lifespan.

First of all, I am getting a "Paddy Richter" tuned harmonica, which has a replaced note that makes playing irish tunes easier. I already play whistle and concertina, and focusing hard on concertina, but I will be travelling to Vietnam for a few weeks in december so I wanted something that was 'similar' to the concertina I could bring. The harmonica is the next best thing, it's push/pull like an anglo concertina and has reeds!!

Irish music being about the melody, my main concern is to play single notes, the melody. Maybe when I'm 96 and a hotshot harmonica player I'll give multiple notes a try ;-)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I just have plain old diatonic harmonicas. If I ever get to replace them, you had better believe that I'm getting Paddy Richter tuned harmonicas too. That explains why you're not getting the Cracker Barrell harmonica.

I had thought you might have lived so far away from civilization that receiving a harmonica by mail was your only option or that you didn't know that there were local harmonica outlets in your town.
白飞梦
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Haha, well, it could have been possible yeah. The problem is, I know so much nothing about harmonicas that I went with what Steve Shaw recommended. I'm getting a Seydel G Paddy Richter from David Payne in the US. I could have possibly bought one from some shop in Canada, but David is a harmonica expert and will not send me crap, so it's worth the extra wait.
Julia Delaney
Tell us something.: I play fiddle, concertina, flute. I live in NH. Lived in Kilshanny, Co Clare, for about 20 years. Politically on the far left. Diet on the far right (plant-based fundamentalist). Musically in the middle of the pure drop.

Post by Julia Delaney »

Have you seen the horror film, "The Harmonica That Ate Montreal?" It's a gem.
Harmonica Dreams. Great book too.
Freedom is merely privilege extended, unless enjoyed by one and all. The Internationale
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Diatonicbolical?
白飞梦
scheky

Post by scheky »

I like the Seydel Paddy G. The case is nice and tight, thus not tearing out any of my facial hairs. I like the Lee Oskar that I use also, but the Seydel is easier on my face.

I do agree with Steve that they are a little expensive, given that they cost about 1/2 again as much as a Lee Oskar and last about 1/2 as long before blowing a reed.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Is there another instrument that will catch a mustache hair as painfully as some harmonicas?

My Hohner Golden Melody is the worst at that.
白飞梦