More accordion questions

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
jim stone

More accordion questions

Post by jim stone »

Hi, I have Rick's accordion and I'm playing tunes OK,
slowly but OK.

If I may ask more question of you'all.

How do you cut? How do you roll?

Sorry if this is a hard question to answer onboard.
Maybe just tell me how to cut.

I'm just playing with my rt hand so far.
You use your pinky, yes?

I now see what people were saying about running out of fingers
and having to plan fingerings.

Thanks!
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Re: More accordion questions

Post by StevieJ »

Generally, you cut by using the button above the one the main note is on. (Sometimes you might choose to use a note from the outer row to give you a harmonizing grace note, depending on the note and the effect you like.)

As on flute and whistle, you can play the grace note before the main note, or not.

Have a look at this page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~hspeek/irishbox/ornamnts.html

It describes the classic five-note roll which you may or may not find attractive to your ears. There are lots of other things you can do instead of this.

IMO the best favour you could possibly do yourself - particularly if you're a C#/D player playing Irish style - is not to use your pinky at all for a year or two. People will tell you this is total rubbish (and indeed that was my reaction the first time I heard the suggestion). Take no notice. Force yourself not to use it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Thank you. What it the rationale behind the 'no pinky' principle?

OK, I just tried it and it makes fingering a lot easier.

Any advice about fingering is welcome!

Thanks again.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

jim stone wrote:Thank you. What it the rationale behind the 'no pinky' principle?
Let's just say your playing will be much surer and you will learn much more quickly how to develop all-important mobility.

(In my opinion and in my experience. Others will disagree and there are fine players who use all four fingers. Still they are - based on my observation of a lot of players, top and not so top - a fairly small minority. I urge you to give it a trial - a serious trial for an extended period - and see if it works for you.)
Any advice about fingering is welcome!
You may already have realized the importance of shifting fingers between two notes on the same button to help your hand movement. If not, start experimenting with this now.

Other than that, valuable advice that was given to me: learn how to move up and down the keyboard using just two fingers. Then try the same thing with three.

Start using the "magic notes" on the outer row - especially F# on the pull but also C# on the push - as soon as possible. For example for runs involving EF#G and GF#E.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Very good! Much obliged.