OT - Quebec Squeezebox, an Irish connection?

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT - Quebec Squeezebox, an Irish connection?

Post by L42B »

First of all I'm an Uilleann Piper and Whistler by heart. So I don't know much about the squeezebox or harmonica. But I came across a person playing a Quebec box in C# and its accompanied by piano.

To me the clip sounds very similar to the West Clare style in Ireland. There appears to be three different reels. The last two sound strangely familiar. Are these tunes known by a different name in Ireland?

Just wondering, because I know that some Irish immigrated to Quebec. Here is the clip for those who are wondering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWKObgmI ... re=related

Cheers L42B
"Starting today, we must pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and begin the work of remaking America." President Barack H. Obama, from his Inaugural Speech as the 44th President of the United States of America.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Yes there have been constant connections between Irish and Scottish music and that of Québec over the past couple of centuries. But that's only a partial explanation for what you hear in that clip.

André Bouchard's aim is to demonstrate the capabilities of the 1½ row box you see there, his own design (in D, not C# btw).

Unlike the traditional 10-key one-row box in D, this box has accidentals on the half-row - C-natural, G# in two octaves, and D#. So he's choosing pieces that cannot normally be played on the Québécois box. The first three are Québecois and the last two Irish.

Reel de Sherbrooke (A part only), Québec version of Mason's Apron (second part very like Green Gates), Clog Parizeu, Irish hornpipe and reel (Shearing the Sheep, I think).

André Bouchard is a big fan of the American-Irish box player Joe Derrane - the last two tunes are taken straight from Derrane's recordings. Derrane is very popular with Québec players because much of his style is based on that of John Kimmel, whose 1920s recordings were a huge influence on French Canadian accordionists as well as people like Derrane in the US and, later, people like Paul Brock and Jackie Daly in Ireland.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

I've got to follow music threads more closely...as opposed to the proct forum, it's so refreshing to hear someone who actually knows what the hell he's talking about!
:D to you, Steve.

Susan
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

:love: It's just an illusion, Susion, but one I am keen to maintain - which is exactly why I don't post on the proct forum very often!