May latest eBay project: Wheatstone 48 key Concertina

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
daiv
antispam: No

Post by daiv »

projektio28 wrote:Silly me for not thinking it could be the amount the person paid for it in the days of old... :oops:

Matt
i didnt think of it either. when i was trying to find the concertina in the ledger a couple days ago, i thought that those were serial numbers! needless to say, i wondered why none of their serial numbers were in order.... :boggle:
Jon C.
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Well I am elbow deep into my Cocnertina project, looks to be a lot of fun. I am rebuilding the fret board at the moment.
To hold me over, until I finish it, I found a virtual wheatstone, looks just like mine, so I can play online...
http://www.id-werbeagentur.com/concertina/
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:Well I am elbow deep into my Cocnertina project, looks to be a lot of fun. I am rebuilding the fret board at the moment.
To hold me over, until I finish it, I found a virtual wheatstone, looks just like mine, so I can play online...
http://www.id-werbeagentur.com/concertina/
Ooooh, the cat did not like that!
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

So, I received all my concertina spares, almost 300 parts! Springs, valves, pads sampers, leather doo-dads, felt thingys... Also, "The Concertina maintenance manual", looks like the perfect thing to accompany me in my restoration.
The fret board is coming along nicely too, I am waiting for some Honduras Rosewood to show up, to replace the missing fret work. I have two weeks in the desert, so I thought it would be a nice time to glue on all those valves, and new pads! Photos to follow... :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scheky »

Careful...once you start playing that little baby, you won't want to play anything else.

They are so addictive.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

So, you couldn't find yourself a nice Clarke original with a dent in it? :boggle:

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Doc Jones wrote:So, you couldn't find yourself a nice Clarke original with a dent in it? :boggle:

Doc
Got a pile of old whistles, all with dents! This is just something to add to the pile of antique flutes... :P
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Here was a dandy Jefferies concertina, went for only $9,343 bucks, what a bargain! Went to Ireland, so I guesd someone is doing all right over there. :twisted: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=012
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:Here was a dandy Jefferies concertina, went for only $9,343 bucks, what a bargain! Went to Ireland, so I guesd someone is doing all right over there. :twisted: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... :IT&ih=012
Gosh, wonder what it'll cost to fix up.

Kevin Krell
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

The project is coming along nicely. I have replaced all the pads, springs, broken buttons, and valves. A lot more parts then with wooden flutes!
The last time it was in for servicing was 1877, so I guess it was due!
I am going to make new bellows for it, as the original was rotted out. (beware of buying concertina's from the tropics...) :oops: Should be fun...
Michael Flatley

Jon
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Jon, be sure to let me know when it's ready to rock. I'll be happy to give it a test drive for you the next time I'm up.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

MTGuru wrote:Jon, be sure to let me know when it's ready to rock. I'll be happy to give it a test drive for you the next time I'm up.
Will do!
There is another now, a Anglo to keep the English company...

Image :boggle: Out of control...
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Started making new bellows, cocusflute talked me into it... Next is the edge runs, then it should be as "snug as a bug in a rug!" The new bellows will be 7 fold, from the original 5 fold, should have plenty of air for chords.:party:

Michael Flatley

Jon
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Looks very nice so far! I haven't gotten into the making bellows bit yet myself. Maybe I can refer my future restoration projects to you for bellows! ;)
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

avanutria wrote:Looks very nice so far! I haven't gotten into the making bellows bit yet myself. Maybe I can refer my future restoration projects to you for bellows! ;)
Thanks, I would have gotten further, but ran out of leather. well I am all tooled up now, leather skivers, and all, so maybe make a few more? I plan to also make new bellows for the mini Lachenal, it is a lot of fun! Next will be re-tuning all the reeds to 440, there are 96 in this beast!
Quite a change from turning flutes.
Michael Flatley

Jon