May latest eBay project: Wheatstone 48 key Concertina

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is a photo of the new bellows fitted on the concertina...
Still need to glue on the fancy bellow papers, when they arrive.
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Very nice.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Wow, I'm really impressed.

What sort of tooling did you have to get to do this? if I wanted to replace some bellows, apart from a work surface and an old concertina what would I need?

I do have that concertina repair manual but I don't remember how much is in it about constructing bellows.
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Wow, I'm impressed too. My vintage concertina is currently travelling to Toronto for new bellows, should have sent it to you ;-)
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Hi,
Thanks, been a lot of fun.
Let see, here is some of the necessary tools:
wood shop with- table saw, band saw lots of clamps.
Leather splitting/skiving tools- You can also get the strips of leather already beveled, but I bought a Swedish skiver called the Scharf-Fix, $340!
(This I can re-sell later)
Hand tools knife, pliers, etc.

Here is a pictorial by Bob Tedrow, this is where I got my inspiration! http://hmi.homewood.net/bellows/
So this will give you a idea, of what goes into it.
Maybe at some point I can crank out some more... The next bellow will be my nice little Lachenal 5" dia...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

Here is the latest update on my nice old concertina.
Got it all tuned up, a little finishing to do still and I need to finish the straps.
This is the wax version of the gold stamp I am making to replace the original 24K hot stamping, this will be cast in bronze, whe nI get around to doing another casting.

Here is the before photo, you can see the gold design:
Michael Flatley

Jon
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Can't wait to take 'er for a spin!

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:Here is the latest update on my nice old concertina.
Got it all tuned up, a little finishing to do still and I need to finish the straps.
A real good match on recreating the original appearance. How's she play?

Still interested in flutes? When I have a chance, I'll show you the H-M.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Jon C.

Post by Jon C. »

MT, I will let you know when it is ready for a test drive, it is still missing a few cylinders...
Hey Kevin, I tuned the 96 reeds to 440 htz, that was fun! I need to replace 3, one was MIA when I go it, and the other two were steel replacements. Kind of hard to play at the moment, until I get the thumb straps mounted., but it has a nice tone. I did learn where all the notes were, when tuning... :swear:
Still doing the flute thing, this is just a sub-sub-hobby. I am also rebuilding a little 5 1/2" 20 key Lachenal anglo, where I am making new Reed pans for it.
So muh to do, so little time...
Jon