New Concertina/Metropolitan Museum of Art (NYC)

We have some evidence, however, that you may have to pay for the reeds.
KBR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Concertina/Metropolitan Museum of Art (NYC)

Post by KBR »

Hello,
I just ordered a Concertina from The Button Box - it is the Rochelle model from Concertina Connection. Its in the mail right now. I have never played this instrument before so I'll probably be asking a bunch of questions on the forum. I can't wait! :D
BTW, I was in NYC yesterday visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art...I always go to the musical instrument exhibit to look at the Ramirez and Hauser guitars Segovia used, the 2 Amati and 3 Stradavarius violins, the Ruckers harpsicord, etc. New to the exhibit is a display of some free reed instruments including a couple of Wheatstone concertinas (one is a duet) a Lachendal concertina plus several early accordian type instruments and a couple of very unusual free reed instruments (of European descent) that you would have to see to believe. There was also a very nice display of flutes which would probably be of interest to ITM fans. If you are in town, check it out. kbr
"ain't no other place 'round dis place, like dis
place so...dis must be de place...."
Sammy Ray
dpmccabe
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by dpmccabe »

That's really a shame. Instruments belong in the hands of players, not in museums.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

dpmccabe wrote:That's really a shame. Instruments belong in the hands of players, not in museums.
mhm, and fossils belong in the ground. And paintings belong in private galleries, or painters' lofts. :P

Sounds exciting! Your c oncertina and the exhibit both. Good luck with the instrument :)
KBR

Post by KBR »

dpmccabe wrote,
"That's really a shame. Instruments belong in the hands of players, not in museums."

The instruments on display in the Met have all had long and fruitful histories. I know that the two guitars that Segovia donated to the Met were past their prime at the time (classic guitars only last so long) he donated them and they were not going to be used again. They may have wound up in the hands of collectors who, thru buying and selling, bid up the cost of some instruments so that most players cannot afford them. Instead, they are in a museum where they may be studied.

I know that, from time to time, the Strads and Amati violins in the Met are used in performance and that these instruments are available to luthiers for study. They could have wound up in the hands of collectors too. If any instrument has been affected by the actions of collectors, it is the violin - to the detriment of players.

I'm not too sure about the flutes or concertinas though. I'm not sure how many players would take an instrument of historical importance to a gig. I think its great that our finest art museum (IMHO) recognizes that musical instruments are art and puts them on display so that all may learn about and enjoy them. Since these instruments have been in the hands of players, I have to disagree about their display being a shame. kbr
"ain't no other place 'round dis place, like dis
place so...dis must be de place...."
Sammy Ray